This crispy fried tofu sandwich is full of spicy flavour. Stuffed with rocket, coriander and some pink pickled onions, these sandwiches make an incredible lunch or dinner.
OMG this sandwich though, guys!
Sometime Will and I are completely stuck on what to make for dinner. I do regular shops and meal plans but sometimes we run out of recipes to make and we haven’t had time to do another food shop and in those situations we have to think of something on the fly.
The other day this situation occurred and we were trying to come up with something to make. Will suggested tofu (which is amazing in itself because he is definitely not a tofu fan) and I remembered a recipe that I’d written a little while ago and I hadn’t had chance to try making yet.
And it was this tofu sandwich.
Why we love this tofu sandwich with pink pickled onions:
- It’s vegetarian and easily made vegan by switching the mayo for your favourite vegan brand
- The tofu is crispy and spicy thanks to the amazing marinade and quick frying
- This sandwich is also so quick to make since the only cooking involved is the frying of the tofu
- It’s also great for meal prep since the whole sandwich tastes just as good cold as it does just after it’s been cooked
So there’s just a few simple elements involved in making this sandwich.
A simple marinade of soy sauce, lime, garlic and ginger is poured over the tofu before cooking and then added to the pan as it fries so that it’s really bursting with that flavour.
I made these in crusty baguettes and added rocket, coriander (cilantro), mayo and pink pickled onions (which I first used in these salmon tacos) plus a good drizzle of hot sauce.
Spicy Tofu Sandwich with Pink Pickled Onions Ingredients:
- Tofu: Make sure you get extra firm tofu and definitely press it if you have time, even if it’s only for a few minutes
- Tofu Marinade: A simple combination of soy sauce, lime, garlic, ginger and olive oil
- Sandwich Rolls: You could really choose anything but I like the crustiness of a baguette plus it gives it a bit of a banh mi feeling which I love
- Fresh Coriander: For a delicious herby flavour
- Sriracha: Or whatever your favourite hot sauce is
- Mayo: Leave out or use your favourite vegan brand if you prefer. Add extra to the sauce for these veggie burgers
- Rocket (Arugula): For a peppery crunch, use leftover in this beetroot salad
- Pink Pickled Onions: These are so quick and add so much flavour
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Spicy Tofu Sandwich with Pink Pickled Onions Instructions:
- Prep the tofu: Press the tofu then slice. Whisk the marinade ingredients then pour over the tofu.
- Fry the tofu: Heat a frying pan and fry the tofu in batches with the marinade until sticky and crispy.
- Make the pickled onions: Pour boiling water over the onion slices. Mix the vinegar, salt and sugar, add the onion slices and peppercorns and set aside.
- Make the sandwiches: Split open the baguettes, spread with mayo. Add tofu slices, pickled onions, rocket, coriander leaves and a drizzle of hot sauce.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £16.66Was: £24.00
- Price: £10.39Was: £13.94
Want more? Try these other tofu recipes!
- Chipotle Lime Black Bean Bowl
- Spicy Rice Bowls with Korean Marinated Tofu
- Tofu & Mango Vegan Red Thai Curry
- Crispy Fried Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Tofu Katsu Curry
- Spicy Noodles with Crispy Tofu
Spicy Tofu Sandwich with Pink Pickled Onions
For the Tofu
- 400 g Firm Tofu
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Lime
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp Ginger grated
For the Sandwiches
- Olive oil
- 2 Small Baguettes
- Small bunch Fresh Coriander
- Sriracha to serve
- Mayo to serve
- 40 g Rocket to serve
For the Pickled Onions
- 1 Red Onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 150 ml Cider Vinegar
- 5 Peppercorns
- Pat dry the tofu and press for 10 minutes (or as much time as you have) then slice into 1cm thick slices. Whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Place the tofu in a shallow dish and pour over the marinade.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of oil. Fry the tofu in batches, pouring over some of the marinade to get it extra sticky. It will need a couple of minutes on each side until it's browned and crisp.
- Put the onion slices in a sieve over the sink and pour over 500ml (2 cups) of boiling water. Mix the vinegar, salt and sugar in a container you can use to store the onions. Add the onions and peppercorns and set aside until ready to use.
- Cut open the baguettes and spread with mayo. Stuff with the tofu slides, pickled onions, rocket, coriander and a drizzle of sriracha.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!