Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This salt and pepper tofu is so crispy and makes the perfect snack or easy dinner. Serve with plenty of soy sauce and rice or noodles to make it a full meal.
This classic recipe is such a great snack or dinner idea, I cannot get enough!
As I’ve mentioned a couple of times now I’ve recently had a new found love for tofu. It has never featured very heavily in my diet because it can sometimes be a bit bland and I am all about that flavour.
But then I realised that the fact I didn’t like tofu was really all down to me and my failure to cook it with all the flavour it needed and so I’ve been on a bit of a journey the last few months (and Will has been my somewhat unwilling passenger) to find all the delicious ways to cook with tofu.
I kicked off with a super simple spicy noodles with crispy tofu which was great for adding loads of flavour to the tofu and made a perfect weeknight dinner and now I’m all about this salt and pepper tofu which works great with noodles for a main meal but also makes the most amazing snack or appetiser!
The key things I’ve learned about making tofu are that pressing the tofu is very important. The few times we cooked it without pressing it were pretty disappointing but pressing it makes such a difference to the texture of the tofu so I highly recommend doing it, even just for 10 minutes.
I don’t have a fancy tofu press, all I do is put a couple of pieces of kitchen roll on the top of bottom of the tofu between two plates then put a couple of tins of food or a cast iron skillet on top and leave it for as much time as I have.
The other thing that’s most important is to fry it in hot oil until crispy. I haven’t tried any other methods of cooking tofu yet but if you’re frying it then it needs to be in hot oil and it needs to be tossed in cornflour first to make it extra crispy. For this recipe I also mix a little chilli powder into the cornflour to add a little extra flavour.
Salt and Pepper Tofu Ingredients:
- Firm Tofu: Make sure you get firm, very important, the silken stuff will not work at all in this recipe
- Vegetable Oil: For frying the tofu
- Cornflour: To toss the tofu in before frying to get it extra crispy
- Spices: Chilli powder, sichuan peppercorns, garlic and chillies all go into the recipe to make the tofu extra flavourful with a spicy kick
- Sugar: Just a little to add a hint of sweetness
- Salt: The perfect balance to the pepperiness of the spices
- Spring Onions, Fresh Coriander and Lime Wedges: For serving and adding that touch of freshness
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Salt and Pepper Tofu Instructions:
- Prep the tofu: Pat the tofu dry then press for at least 10 minutes. Slice into cubes and toss in the cornflour and chilli powder.
- Fry the tofu: Heat the oil then fry the tofu in batches until it’s crispy, drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the spices and toppings: Mix the peppercorns with sugar and salt. Fry the garlic, chilli and spring onion then add the tofu and sprinkle over the salt and pepper mixture. Serve topped with coriander and lime.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £14.47Was: £27.99
- Price: £10.49Was: £14.00
Want more? Try these other spicy recipes!
- Spicy Salted Chicken with Scallions
- Chilli Prawns with Tomato Butter & Aleppo Pepper
- Spicy Carrot Soup
- Spicy Soup with Beans & Rice
- Ginger Beef Stir Fry
- Thai Fish Cakes with Peanut Sauce
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS SALT AND PEPPER TOFU?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use up leftover spring onions sprinkled over these mushroom bao
Add chilli powder to this yummy veggie chilli
Crispy Fried Salt and Pepper Tofu
- 340 g Firm Tofu
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Cornflour for dusting
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sichuan Peppercorns crushed
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt Flakes
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 3 Chillies sliced
- 2 Spring Onions sliced
- Fresh Coriander
- Lime Wedges to serve
- Soy Sauce to serve
- Pat the tofu dry and press for at least 10 minutes. Cut into small cubes.
- Heat 4cm oil to 180°C/350°F in a large frying pan or wok. Dust the tofu with cornflour and chilli powder, add to the oil and fry until crisp on all sides. Cook in batches if you need to then drain on kitchen paper.
- Mix the crushed sichuan peppercorns with the sugar and salt. Pour all but 2 tbsp oil away then return to the heat and add the garlic, chilli and spring onions then add the tofu and sprinkle over the seasoning and cook for 2 minutes. Tip out onto a plate and top with coriander and lime. Serve with soy sauce.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!