These easy spicy noodles are a brilliant vegetarian dinner option! The noodles are tossed with a spicy sauce, crispy tofu and sliced spring onions for a simple healthy meal.
I've been getting really into tofu lately.
I've always been pretty anti-tofu. I tried it when I was a teenager and my dad and I went vegan for lent one year and it was fine, nothing special, but I didn't ever rush back to try it after that time was over.
But since we're trying to eat less meat it seemed like a good opportunity to try it again. I've been trying out different methods of cooking it and the best way so far definitely seems to be coating it in cornflour and frying it in hot oil.
We also like to make sure it's pressed before slicing it so that there's as little liquid in there as possible. Plus we like it in really small cubes so that there's a high percentage of crispiness to inside softness.
All of these tips have resulted in us really liking tofu recently.
Other than the tofu we've got a sweet and spicy sauce made from kecap manis, oyster sauce (make sure you get a vegetarian version if you're avoiding meat), ketchup and dark soy sauce plus plenty of chillies to get that spicy flavour.
Once the noodles are cooked, the tofu is fried and the sauce is whisked together then it's simply a case of stir frying the garlic, chilli and tomato before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
The sauce comes out rich and spicy and coats every noodle and the whole thing tastes amazing topped with a big squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Why we love these spicy tofu noodles:
- This is such a quick 30 minute dinner which is super easy to prepare so it's great for a weeknight
- Although this recipe uses oyster sauce which isn't vegetarian, it's easy to get hold of a vegetarian oyster sauce or you could switch it for light soy sauce to make the recipe vegetarian
- This is also a healthy recipe which you can easily amp up with extra veggies if you want to make it even healthier
Spicy Noodles with Crispy Tofu Ingredients:
- Sauce: This sauce is made up of some delicious ingredients including kecap manis (a kind of sweet soy sauce), oyster sauce (make sure you get a veggie version), ketchup and dark soy sauce
- Firm Tofu: Make sure you get firm, this is very important. I also like to press the tofu before slicing which you can do by putting between kitchen towel and topping with a plate and some heavy tins or a skillet for a few minutes
- Cornflour: This is what I use to coat the tofu to make sure it gets super crispy on the outside when I fry it
- Noodles: Use whatever type you like, I went with egg noodles because they're our favourite
- Veggies: Plenty of chillies of course, these are spicy noodles after all, then also tomatoes stir fried quickly before tossing with the rest of the ingredients and finely some spring onion just before serving (use up leftover spring onion on these mushroom bao)
- Lime: To give that extra zesty flavour before servings. Use extras on these cauliflower tacos
[amazon_link asins='B003OMU6N2,B0170C66DU,B015O5I5MK,B001FB6B9C' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='7630aed0-2058-47db-a1f6-d29fe0a2f455']
Tofu with Noodles Instructions:
- Prep your ingredients: Whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside. Cook the noodles. Press the tofu then slice into cubes and toss with cornflour.
- Stir fry your ingredients: Fry the tofu in the oil until browned and crispy then set aside. Add the garlic and chilli then add the tomato and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Finish the dish: Add the noodles, tofu, sauce and spring onions to the vegetables and toss everything together until coated in the sauce.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B009WFO6FE,B00537P230,B077SWFL5K,B003ASATPA' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='aeec2cc6-45bd-471a-bc3a-fad9ff3ead8f']
Tofu Noodle Stir Fry Variations:
- More veggies: Chuck in any extra veg you have on hand. Broccoli, spinach or pak choi would all work so well
- Spice levels: You can increase or decrease the heat level by changing the amount of chilli
- Different protein: If you're really anti tofu you can still make this dish, simply up the veggies or switch it for chicken, pork or seafood
- Meal prep: This recipe is great for reheating (or serving cold) the next day. As with all fried things, the tofu doesn't stay crispy but the dish still tastes fantastic!
How do you drain tofu?
Start by patting the tofu dry with paper towels then place on a paper towel lined plate and top with another layer of paper towels. Put another plate on top and weigh down with something heavy like a cast iron skillet or a few cans of food. Leave for at least 10 minutes but longer if you have time.
What's the best way to cook tofu?
There are many ways to cook tofu (this baked tofu is pretty amazing) but for this recipe I used one of my favourite methods which is to cut it into small cubes, toss in cornflour and fry until it's got a crispy coating all over. Make sure you follow the method above for pressing the tofu first!
Want more? Try these other noodle recipes!
- Spicy Sweet Chilli Veggie Noodles
- 15 Minute Soy Peanut Noodles
- Spicy Sesame Noodles
- Quick & Easy Thai Chicken Noodles
- Spicy Thai Noodle Soup with Veggies
- Peanut Salmon Noodles with Pak Choi
Spicy Noodles with Stir Fried Tofu
For the Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kecap Manis
- 2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 3 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
For the Noodles
- 3 Red Chillies deseeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 250 g Firm Tofu pressed for 10 minutes and sliced into cubes
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 large Tomato in wedges
- 400 g Egg Noodles
- 2 Spring Onions chopped
- 1 Lime in wedges
- Mix together the kecap manis, oyster sauce, ketchup and soy sauce. Cook the noodles according to packet instructions. Put the tofu in a large bowl and sprinkle with cornflour then toss to coat.
- Fry the tofu in the oil until browned all over. Remove and set aside. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for a couple of minutes then add the tomato and fry for another minute. Add the noodles, tofu, sauce and spring onions. Serve with lime wedges.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!