Spicy soup with beans and rice is a healthy, vegetarian dinner recipe full of Mexican flavour. It's easy to make, dairy free and leave off the cheese to make it vegan!
Who's up for a super comforting spicy Mexican soup recipe?!
This soup is EXACTLY what you need right now. It's so super comforting and warming thanks to the rich spicy broth and the addition of beans and rice.
It's so simple to make. You start off by frying chillies and onion in a little oil then adding chipotle paste and cumin and cooking until everything is super fragrant and spicy.
Then you just need to add the rice and stock followed by chopped tomatoes and beans. Once you're ready to eat just load up on the toppings. I went with cheese, tortilla chips, coriander (cilantro) and radish. Cheesy, crunchy, spicy and fresh all in one bite!
Spicy Soup with Rice & Beans Ingredients:
All you need to make this spicy tomato soup is:
- Chillies: I normally remove the seeds but if you like it even spicier then feel free to leave them in!
- Red Onion: Makes it a tiny bit sweeter but if you only have white onions then they'll work too
- Vegetable Stock: I'm really into the quick Knorr stock pots because they add so much flavour and are super to easy to grab but use whatever your favourite is
- Spices: For this soup I kept it pretty simple with chipotle paste and cumin, both of them add so much flavour
- Rice: Whatever you like, I used basmati
- Beans: Again, use whatever you like, I had cannellini beans on hand but another white bean or kidney beans would work just as well
- Chopped Tomatoes
[amazon_link asins='B014G2LOXE,B004803Z5K,B005EG1TVE,B00FFH7Y5C' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='b49f6812-fbdd-11e8-a9c8-9fa74ccb2bb8']
Spicy Rice Soup Instructions:
- Cook the aromatics: Fry the chillies and onion then add the chipotle paste and cumin.
- Simmer the rice: Pour in the stock and add the rice. Season and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Finish the soup: Add the chopped tomatoes and beans and simmer for another 5 minutes before serving.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00V86WGB6,B073VY4RNY,B079HWTWWX,B000KGCOB2,B0081K740A' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='e074c31d-fbde-11e8-b207-85512001e110']
What to serve with spicy bean soup?
This spicy bean soup is really made by the toppings so go wild! I like to break up some tortilla chips on top, kind of like Mexican croutons, then you definitely need some coriander (cilantro) leaves and if you're not keeping it vegan then a little grated cheese is amazing. If you want something to cool it down a bit then a dollop of sour cream is always a winner.
Spicy Tomato Soup with Beans & Rice Variations:
- Add a protein: If you're not keeping this soup vegetarian then some shredded spicy chicken added just before serving would be delicious or you could try some cubed tofu
- Add more veggies: I've kept this soup pretty simple but if you want to up the veg content then add whatever you like! Red pepper, kale or even sweet potato would all work well
- Make it even cheesier: A handful of shredded cheese stirred through just before serving would be amazing, just sayin' (similar to this cheesy Mexican rice and vegetable tortilla stew)
Is this soup gluten free?
This soup is totally gluten free!
Is this soup good for you?
This spicy soup is so good for you! It's just a simple combination of tomatoes, rice and beans plus a few other healthy ingredients which makes this spicy chilli bean soup great for making you feel good and it tastes amazing!
Expert tips for making this soup:
- You can control the spice level by using more or less chillies according to how you like it
- If you're reheating this soup you might need to add a little extra stock because the rice will soak up the liquid as it sits
- You can usually find chipotle paste in supermarkets. If you're in the US you could use a blended chipotle in adobo
What's so good about this soup?
Let's recap! Why is this soup so amazing?
- It's bursting with flavour
- It's vegan
- It's gluten and dairy free
- It's only takes half an hour to make so perfect for a weeknight
- It's also great for a quick lunch or for meal prep
- If you fancy customising it then there are so many options to really make it your own
I hope you love this soup as much as we do!
Want more? Try these other soup recipes!
- Pumpkin Soup
- Leftover Turkey Soup with Noodles
- Potato Leek Soup
- Vegetable Soup with Vegetarian Dumplings
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chipotle Cheddar Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- Jamaican Chicken Soup
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS SPICY SOUP WITH RICE & BEANS?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Perfect for using up chipotle paste
Cumin is delicious in these salmon tacos
Spicy Soup with Beans and Rice
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Chillies deseeded and chopped
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 1.5 litres Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoon Chipotle Paste
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- 100 g Rice
- 2 400g tins Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- Tortilla Chips, Limes, Coriander, Cheese and Radish to serve
- Saute the chillies and onion in the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chipotle paste and cumin. Add the stock and rice and season to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes then add the chopped tomatoes and beans and cook for another 5 minutes. Finish with a squeeze of lime juice if desired.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!