Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This chipotle cheddar spicy sweet potato soup is the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold night. It’s so easy to make too!
Being cold is my least favourite thing about winter. When I’m on my way home from work that 5 minute walk from the train station to the flat has me freezing and thinking about nothing but a big comforting bowl of food when I get home.
Sometimes it needs to be soup and it needs to be fast. That’s where something like this chipotle cheddar spicy sweet potato soup comes in.
I’ve been making a curry sweet potato soup for a long time and it’s a great comfort food. I think there’s something about that beautiful colour which makes you feel happy.
This time I wanted to go with something a bit spicier and obviously I wanted to add cheese because cheese makes everything better.
Ingredients you need to make this chipotle cheddar spicy sweet potato soup:
- Olive Oil
- Chipotle Paste
- Sweet Potato
- Vegetable Stock
- Cheddar Cheese
- Chilli Flakes
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for chipotle cheddar spicy sweet potato soup…
The great thing about this is that you can adjust the spice levels to your liking while still getting the smoky flavour of the chipotle.
I added a couple of carrots to up the veg content but other than that it’s pretty much pure sweet potato on the veg front which gives it the most delicious sweet, creamy flavour.
So tell me, friends, what are your favourite types of soup? I am usually fairly ambivalent about a broth based soup, choosing to opt for something creamy or thick but recently I’ve been up for something like my chicken and vegetable soup as long as it’s got a lot of meat and stuff floating in it. Must be growing up I guess!
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS CHIPOTLE CHEDDAR SPICY SWEET POTATO SOUP?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
How to make chipotle cheddar spicy sweet potato soup:
Chipotle Cheddar Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 3 tsp Chipotle Chilli Paste
- 1 kilo Sweet Potato peeled and chopped
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 litre Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 100 g Cheddar Cheese (plus extra for topping) grated
- Salt and Pepper
- Pinch Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes followed by the paste then cook for another 2 minutes.
- Put the sweet potato and carrot in the pot along with the stock and cook for 30 minutes until everything is soft. Use an immersion blender (or place in a blender in batches) to blend until smooth.
- Place over a low heat and add the cheese and the chilli flakes if using. Serve with extra grated cheese and fresh black pepper and chilli flakes if using.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…