This peanut and sweet potato stew is spicy, filling and delicious. Add all your favourite toppings and serve with a healthy portion of rice or other grain.
I first published this recipe for peanut and sweet potato stew in September 2016 and I've now updated it with new photos. Keep a look out for more updated recipes on The Cook Report coming soon!
I'm writing about this stew during the random Indian summer which seems to come around every September. Just after you've given up hope on there being another warm day before next May there's suddenly a few days when temperatures return to the high 20s, it's all very confusing.
It also means that it's extra difficult to write about a delicious warming stew which felt perfectly at home in last week's beginning of autumn crisping of the air but feels completely unbearable while I'm sweltering at 9.30 at night.
Ingredients you need to make this peanut and sweet potato stew:
- Vegetable Oil
- Red Onion
- Scotch Bonnet Chilli - These are super hot, if you want something milder use a chilli of your choice or leave it out altogether!
- Cayenne Pepper
- Chopped Tomato
- Tomato Puree
- Peanut Butter
- Vegetable Stock
- Sweet Potato
- Salted Peanuts
- Baby Spinach
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this peanut and sweet potato stew...
We had this last week and Will made naans in honour of bread week on Great British Bake Off (oh my god, the GBBO news is just terrible isn't it? Mel and Sue are my favourites 😢).
He thought the naans turned out too flat but I actually quite liked them like that, they were kind of crispy and had a texture which worked perfectly with the stew. He got the recipe here if you want to give them a go, let me know how they turn out for you!
Honestly though this is one of the best meals we've made in a while and you should absolutely make it once we get into proper autumn.
It will happen soon and I'll be miserable remembering this moment when I had the window open and could enjoy the fresh warm air.
Peanuts in savoury dishes like this are one of my absolute favourite things. They give such a rich and decadent flavour.
Conversely I actually really really don't like nuts in sweet things, the whole nuts and chocolate/cake etc etc is just the worst. Also peanut butter and chocolate? Just no.
Don't forget to check out my other vegetarian recipes!
Keep scrolling to get the recipe...
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS ONCE YOU'VE MADE THIS PEANUT & SWEET POTATO STEW?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Peanut and Sweet Potato Stew
- 3 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 small Red Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Chilli seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 small can Tomato Puree
- 2 tablespoon Peanut Butter we used crunchy
- 475 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 Sweet Potatoes peeled and cut into ½″ chunks
- 1 400g tin Chickpeas
- 65 g Salted Peanuts chopped
- A couple of handfuls Baby Spinach
- Cherry Tomatoes, grain of your choice, more chopped peanuts, fresh coriander to serve
- Add the oil to a large saucepan over a medium heat. Wait until it's hot and then add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger and scotch bonnet and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne pepper and mix everything together.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable stock and peanut butter. Give everything a good mix then add in the sweet potato, chickpeas and peanuts. Bring to a light boil and cover the pan. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Once it's cooked stir in the spinach and allow to wilt. Serve with a grain of your choice and topped with halved cherry tomatoes, peanuts and fresh coriander.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
[amazon_link asins='B00V86WGB6,B077SRHSSJ,B00GMMA7LC,B00004OCIU,B00HEZ888K' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='2b294989-6272-11e8-b040-318c64dc4586']