These cheesy spinach artichoke toasts are a mouth-watering meal. Great as a work from home lunch and easily scaled up to serve a crowd.
Cheesy toasty goodness 🧀
This is my perfect work from home lunch. Maybe not for every day but for a Friday when I feel like treating myself to something cheesy and a little indulgent.
The artichoke and spinach mixture is loaded with fried onions, cream cheese and a little dijon mustard to give a hint of spice.
That's piled on top of toasts then sprinkled with plenty of freshly grated cheddar before placing under the grill until it's melted and browned.
Serve as is or they're also delicious with a drizzle of chilli or garlic oil.
Why we love these spinach artichoke toasts
These toasts are a tasty vegetarian lunch or dinner.
You can prep the toast topping ahead of time so that these toasts are easy to quickly put together for a lunch or dinner.
Other ingredients can easily be added to this to make it your own. Other veggies would be delicious or you could throw in some cooked chicken before adding to the toasts.
You can make this recipe gluten free by using your favourite gluten free bread.
This section is here to provide further tips and ideas for alternative ingredients. The full recipe and instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
Fresh Spinach: This is fried with olive oil, salt and pepper, onion and garlic to make the base of the filling.
Artichokes: I buy jars of marinated artichokes which have a delicious flavour but you could also use canned.
Cream Cheese: This makes such a delicious creamy topping mixed with lemon juice and dijon, you could also use sour cream or creme fraiche.
Cheddar Cheese: This is my go to cheese for something lovely and melty with a good cheesy flavour but you could really use any cheese you like or have on hand.
Crusty Bread: I go for a crusty white bread but anything will work!
How to make it
Cook the spinach: Heat the oil and add the onion, fry for a few minutes then add the garlic and spinach and cook until the spinach has wilted.
Make the topping: Put the spinach in a bowl and add the artichokes, cream cheese, lemon juice and dijon. Mix well.
Finish the toasts: Toast the slices of bread then spread on a baking sheet. Top with the artichoke mixture and grated cheddar. Place under the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and browned.
Want more? Try these other spinach recipes!
- Pork Pasta with Dried Mushrooms and Spinach
- Cauliflower Lentil Curry with Spinach
- 15 Minute Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- Salmon Gnocchi Bake with Spinach
- Spinach Pesto with Feta & Walnuts
- Spinach Mushroom Quiche
Spinach Artichoke Toasts with Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Onion finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 100 g Fresh Spinach
- 285 g jar Marinated Artichokes drained
- 100 g Cream Cheese
- ½ Lemon juiced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 100 g Cheddar Cheese grated
- 4 thick slices Crusty Bread
- Heat the grill/broiler to medium/high. Heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the onion. Season well and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened then add the garlic and spinach and cook for a couple more minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- Tip into a large bowl and add the artichokes, cream cheese, lemon juice and dijon mustard. Toast the bread slices in a toaster or on a grill.
- Place the toast on a lined baking sheet and split the artichoke mixture between the toast slices. Top with a quarter of the grated cheese then place under the grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve.
Like the looks of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!