These tomato and mozzarella toasts make a brilliant lunch or dinner. Toast is topped with roasted cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil leaves then baked until melty and delicious!
Toasts for every meal please.
There is so much joy to be found in a humble piece of toast. You can put pretty much anything on it and it will be comforting and tasty.
Cheese on toast was a mainstay of my childhood and often when Will and I are searching for something to snack we'll turn to cheese on toast with a sprinkling of Lea & Perrins.
This dish is really just a fancied up version of cheese and toast and I am totally ok with having it for dinner every day of the week.
You've got roasted cherry tomatoes with a hint of chilli, plenty of fresh chopped basil and melty mozzarella all piled onto your choice of bread and finished with a drizzle of balsamic.
Why we love these tomato and mozzarella toasts...
They're so easy to make which makes them perfect for a slow weekend lunch or dinner when you want food on the table with as little fuss as possible.
This is a great vegetarian meal or snack which is so filling and delicious even without the meat!
You can add whatever you like to this recipe to make it into more of a meal or use up whatever you've got. Feel free to add meat or other veggies.
This recipe can also use whatever bread you like as a base. Baguette would be great or you could use slices of sourdough like I have.
Caprese Toasts Ingredients
Cherry Tomatoes: These are roasted until super sweet and juicy.
Chilli: I like to add a chilli to the roasting tray for a bit of heat but feel free to leave out if you prefer.
Thyme: For a bit of herby goodness, use rosemary if you'd rather.
Basil: A big bunch added to the tomatoes for that true caprese flavour.
Mozzarella: Melty cheese for days please.
Bread: You can use a baguette cut in half or try thick slices of sourdough. The world is your bread oyster!
Balsamic: This is to serve, you can use straight vinegar or a glaze if you can get one. They sell it in most supermarkets.
How to make mozzarella and tomato toasts
Roast the tomatoes: Put the tomatoes, garlic, chilli and olive oil on a baking sheet with seasoning and roast until softened then mix with the basil.
Assemble the toasts: Spread the bread with the tomatoes then add the mozzarella and drizzle with the cooking oil from the tomatoes.
Cook: Place the tomato and mozzarella toasts under the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
Want more? Try these other vegetarian recipes!
- Orzo Risotto with Tomato & Mascarpone
- Veggie Nachos with Black Beans
- Potato Curry with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Pesto Pasta Bake with Giant Shells
- Winter Salad with Spicy Butternut Squash
- Vegetarian Thai Green Curry
- Soupe au Pistou
Tomato and Mozzarella Toasts
- 300 g Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Chilli deseeded and sliced
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 2 cloves Garlic smashed
- Salt and Pepper
- 20 g Basil chopped
- 250 g Mozzarella torn
- 4 thick slices Sourdough or bread of your choice
- Balsamic Vinegar/Glaze to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°C. Put the tomatoes, garlic, chilli and olive oil on a baking sheet, season well and toss. Roast for 25-30 minutes then stir through the basil. Switch the oven to the grill on high.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet. Split the tomatoes between the 4 pieces of bread then top with the mozzarella. Drizzle over any leftover oil from cooking the tomatoes. Put the sandwiches underneath the grill and cook until browned. Serve drizzled with balsamic vinegar.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!