This pasta puttanesca is so quick to put together and it's packed with flavour. This recipe is guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family and it makes great leftovers too!
It's been too long since I shared an easy pasta recipe!
This recipe is such a comforting and tasty meal! Puttanesca is a classic Italian dish which includes loads of flavourful ingredients like anchovies, capers, olives and tuna. These all come together for a filling and delicious dish.
I know some people are a little weird about anchovies and honestly I wasn't convinced either but they melt into the tomato sauce and give it all that salty goodness without the fishiness you might be concerned about.
The tomato sauce is flavoured with dried oregano and a pinch of chilli flakes for a little bit of a hit of spice. This is such a brilliant store cupboard recipe packed with ingredients you can keep on hand at all times so you can always throw together a delicious bowl of pasta.
Why we love this pasta puttanesca...
It's such an easy recipe that you can make at the end of a long work day with just a handful of ingredients and a few pans and utensils.
This is a great store cupboard recipe made with a few tins and jars of delicious ingredients which are great to keep on hand for a whole bunch of recipes including this one.
It's such a quick recipe to make which makes it perfect for a weeknight. The whole thing comes together in about 15 minutes so you can have dinner together in no time!
Spaghetti Puttanesca Ingredients
Pasta: I used linguini but spaghetti or any other long pasta would work perfectly.
Anchovies: I know lots of people are weird about anchovies but these completely melt into the sauce and just add an amazing saltiness to it.
Chopped Tomatoes: Use your favourite brand.
Capers & Olives: For that briney, salty, tangy goodness.
Herbs and Spices: I add dried thyme to the sauce along with a big pinch of chilli flakes. Adjust how much chilli you use depending on how hot you like it or leave it out all together.
Tuna: Drained and flaked into the pasta just before serving.
How to make pasta alla puttanesca
Cook the pasta: Cook the pasta according to packet instructions reserving a mugful of pasta water before draining.
Start the sauce: Heat the olive oil then add the anchovies and tomato puree and fry gently until the anchovies are beginning to break down then add the chopped tomatoes.
Finish the dish: Simmer the sauce for a couple of minutes then add the olives, capers, oregano and chilli flakes and simmer until beginning to thicken. Add the pasta and 100ml of the pasta water to the sauce and toss everything together. Flake in the tuna and toss again.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
Want more? Try these other pasta recipes!
- Orzo Risotto with Tomato & Mascarpone
- Pesto Pasta Bake with Giant Shells
- Pork Pasta with Dried Mushrooms & Spinach
- Smoked Salmon Pasta with Asparagus
- Vodka Pasta Sauce with Sun Dried Tomato
- Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
- Spring Veggie Pasta
Quick and Easy Pasta Puttanesca
- 500 g Linguini or other long pasta
- 5 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 6 Oil Packed Anchovy Fillets
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Puree
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 50 g Capers drained
- 75 g Pitted Black Olives halved
- 2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Pinch Chilli Flakes
- 1 170g tin Tuna drained
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Keep a mugful of pasta water before draining.
- While the pasta cooks heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the anchovies and tomato puree, cook for a couple of minutes until the anchovies start to break down then add the chopped tomatoes. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the olives, capers, oregano and chilli flakes. Simmer until thickened then add the pasta and 100ml pasta water to pan. Cook over medium heat until sauce is thickened then flakes in the tuna and toss.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!