This rich and comforting caramelised onion pasta is so creamy and flavourful! It's the perfect winter warmer.
I'm ready for all the cold weather comfort food!
For me that mainly means big bowls of pasta and there are few better than this one. It's packed with flavour thanks to the slowly caramelised onions.
The creamy sauce is enriched with gruyere cheese and mushrooms for a super flavourful and tasty pasta.
And even better, it's all made in one pot! Once your onions are caramelised you add your pasta and stock with a few other ingredients and cook everything together. It's just so easy.
Why we love this recipe...
This is a great comfort food recipe thanks to the rich and creamy sauce full of umami flavour of caramelised onions.
While the gruyere means that this dish isn't technically vegetarian, you can easily switch it out for a different cheese to make the whole thing suitable for vegetarians
It's all made in one pot which makes it so simple to make on a weeknight when you're short on time and energy plus it cuts down on the washing up!
While the recipe below just includes mushrooms you can easily increase the vegetable content with anything you fancy, spinach or kale would be a great addition.
This section is here to provide further tips and ideas for alternative ingredients. The full recipe and instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
White Wine: This adds a nice layer of flavour but if you don't like cooking with wine or just don't have any to hand then you can replace with more stock.
Mushrooms: I used chestnut but you can really go with any type of mushroom you fancy.
Thyme: Rosemary would also be tasty if you prefer it.
Pasta: I like using a short cut like spirali or fusilli for one pot pastas like this.
Gruyere Cheese: Or a vegetarian alternative if needed.
How to make it
Caramelise the onions: Melt the butter in a large pot and add the onions. Cook gently for 10 minutes then add the wine and cook for another 15 minutes.
Add the pasta: Put the garlic, mushrooms and thyme into the pot and cook for a few more minutes. Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce along with the pasta and bring to a simmer.
Finish the pasta: Once the pasta is cooked pour in the cream and stir through the cheese until melted.
Try these other pasta recipes!
- Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Mascarpone
- Cherry Tomato Pasta with Kale
- Spicy Pasta with Harissa and Aubergine
- Creamy Tagliatelle with Squash & Sausage
- Mushroom Orzo with Beetroot & Feta
- Pumpkin Rigatoni Pasta Bake
- Vodka Pasta Sauce with Sun Dried Tomato
Caramelised Onion Pasta with Gruyere
- 6 tablespoon Butter
- 3 Onions thinly sliced
- 300 ml White Wine
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 200 g Mushrooms sliced
- 3 sprigs Thyme leaves removed
- 800 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 500 g Short Cut Pasta
- Salt and Pepper
- 100 ml Double Cream
- 200 g Gruyere Cheese grated
- Add the butter to a large pot over medium high heat and allow to melt. Add the onions and cook gently for about 10 minutes until softened. Add the wine and cook for another 15 minutes until the onions are caramelised.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and thyme along with plenty of salt and pepper and cook for a couple more minutes. Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer then add the pasta.
- Allow to cook, stirring regularly, until the pasta is cooked. Pour in the cream and sprinkle in the cheese. Stir to melt the cheese then remove from the heat and serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!