This halloumi, kale & white bean bake is what vegetarian dinner dreams are made of! Serve with a loaf of crusty bread or a big green salad to keep it gluten free.
So this is the second halloumi recipe in the space of a week.
This recipe is such a good weeknight dinner. In general halloumi recipes are often ones I turn to when I’m after a quick vegetarian meal.
Halloumi cooks so quickly, it’s full of flavour and makes me feel so much better about cutting out the meat. I’ve made several variations of this halloumi bake in the past including this halloumi bake with tomato and courgette and this halloumi bake with aubergine.
It’s a simple and easy base and then I like to add whatever I have on hand but this version is definitely one of my favourites and I’m so excited to share it with you!
Why we love this halloumi, kale & white bean bake:
- It’s vegetarian but still so full of flavour and texture thanks to the salty, squeaky halloumi and the white beans
- It can be as spicy or mild as you like, I add a chilli because I like a little kick but you can leave it out altogether or add two if you prefer
- It’s healthy thanks to the beans and kale plus the rich tomato sauce
- It’s naturally gluten free
- You can add more vegetables if you want to or have something left in the fridge so it’s a great clean-out-the-fridge dinner
So making this halloumi bake is actually super easy which is one of the main things I love about it.
You start off by making the tomato sauce which I add red pepper and chilli to then I season with plenty of spices to make it extra flavourful and delicious.
Then I simply stir through the kale and white beans and bubble for a couple of minutes before tipping into a baking dish, topping with halloumi slices and popping in the oven.
Just a few minutes later it comes out bubbling and browned and it’s so super delicious.
Halloumi, Kale & White Bean Bake Ingredients:
- Red Onion: I like the sweetness of the red onion here but you could use normal onions if you prefer
- Garlic: The more the better is pretty much my life motto
- Red Pepper: Or whichever colour you prefer
- Red Chilli: Leave out if you don’t like any heat
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Spices: I used smoked paprika, cumin, dried oregano and coriander
- White Beans: I went for cannellini beans but any other white bean will do
[amazon_link asins=’B004TXFZXQ,B009GE2F1I,B01D3JCHVO,B007CX445A’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thecoorep-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’6debedbe-55f2-41bf-a79e-82d44850d058′]
Halloumi, Kale & White Bean Bake Instructions:
- Start the sauce: Heat the oil and fry the onion followed by the garlic, pepper and chilli.
- Finish the sauce: Add the spices followed by the tomatoes. Bring to a simmer then add the kale and stir until wilted then add the white beans.
- Make the bake: Pour the sauce into a baking dish and top with halloumi slices. Place in the oven until browned and bubbling.
Keep scrolling to get the full printable recipe…
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
[amazon_link asins=’B00C8921J4,B00537P25S,B00HEZ888K,B073VY4RNY’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thecoorep-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’98ca8bbc-623d-4c7d-9759-0e758bd92479′]
Want more? Try these other gluten free dinner recipes!
- Quinoa Fried Rice
- Fish Taco Bowls with Rice & Slaw
- Spiced Black Bean Stew
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini Sauce
- Lentil & Chorizo Soup
- Vegan Stew with Beans & Sweet Potato
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS HALLOUMI, KALE & WHITE BEAN BAKE?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use leftover kale in this warming and filling soup
Use leftover smoked paprika in this roasted red pepper soup
Halloumi, Kale & White Bean Bake
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 1 Red Chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 100 g Kale chopped
- 1 400g tin Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed
- 250 g Halloumi sliced
- Heat the oven to 220°C/430°F. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until beginning to soften then add the garlic, pepper and chilli and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Season well with salt and pepper then add all the spices and stir to coat, cook for another minute. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer then add the kale, cook for 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly and the kale has wilted.
- Add the beans then tip the mixture into a baking dish. Top with the halloumi slices then place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until the halloumi is browned.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!