This easy fish taco bowl is spicy, healthy and so simple to make. Add all your favourite toppings from fresh avocado to crunchy cabbage slaw.
This fish taco bowl has the perfect balance of spice, crunch and taco flavour!
There is just so much flavour in this fish taco bowl! I used a whole load of spices to coat the fish before frying and it came out so delicious.
Any white fish would work for this recipe. I like to buy frozen fillets and keep them in the freezer for whenever I want to make a quick dinner like this fish taco bowl or these Thai fish cakes.
I made a quick slaw to add to this bowl along with some rice and beans to make sure these bowls were extra filling. Then I just finished the whole thing off with your classic Mexican toppings; a squeeze of lime, some fresh avocado and coriander leaves.
Why we love this fish taco bowl
- It’s great for meal prep because all the ingredients last really well in the fridge. If you whip up a batch on a Sunday you can have super impressive and delicious lunches all week long
- It’s healthy so you can feel good about eating it because I promise you won’t be able to stop
- It can be easily customised so you can add whatever toppings you like or switch out rice for quinoa or make it more or less spicy according to taste
- It’s full of Mexican flavour from all the spices on the fish and all the yummy toppings!
Fish Taco Bowl Ingredients:
- Fish: I used cod but really any firm white fish will do. Use up leftovers in these Thai fish cakes
- Oil: For frying the fish
- Spices: Loads of spices go into making this dish really flavourful including cumin, coriander, chilli powder and cayenne pepper
- Rice: I cooked my rice in vegetable stock for a bit of extra flavour. If you prefer then you could use quinoa or any other grain
- Kidney Beans: These add an extra bit of protein to the meal, use any bean you like
- Red Cabbage: For a light and crunchy slaw
- Sour Cream: Used as the dressing for the slaw
- Toppings: I went for avocado slices, coriander (cilantro), chilli flakes and lime wedges
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Fish Taco Bowl Instructions:
- Make the slaw: Whisk together the sour cream and the lime juice then toss with the shredded red cabbage, set aside.
- Cook the rice: Cook according to packet instructions then stir through the kidney beans.
- Cook the fish: Mix together the flour and spices, dredge the fish in the flour mixture then cook in hot oil until flakey.
- Assemble the bowls: Top a scoop of rice in a bowl with the fish, slaw and toppings of your choice.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £11.01Was: £14.00
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe!
Fish Taco Bowl Variations:
- Use a different grain: I love keeping it classic for this dish and using rice but you could totally switch it out for basically any grain, quinoa would be great
- Make it veggie: If you don’t fancy using the fish then you can skip it all together or try using tofu or extra veggies instead
- Add a different meat: Alternatively, if you’re not a fish fan then you could try using chicken for these bowls instead
Want more? Try these other Mexican recipes!
- Mushroom Kale Black Bean Taco Bake
- Cheesy Mexican Rice & Vegetable Tortilla Stew
- Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Veggie Chilli with Lentils & Sweet Potato
- Carne Asada Salad
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with Quinoa
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS FISH TACO BOWL WITH RICE & SLAW?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Use up the red cabbage in the slaw for these halloumi tacos
Drizzle extra sour cream over these quick tacos
Fish Taco Bowl with Rice & Slaw
- 250 g Rice I like basmati
- 1 400g tin Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 500 g Firm White Fish I used cod, cut into bite sized pieces
- 60 g Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- Salt and Pepper
- Avocado, Lime Wedges, Coriander, Chilli Sauce, Chilli Flakes to serve
For the Slaw
- 1/2 Red Cabbage shredded (I used a mandolin)
- 4 tbsp Sour Cream
- 2 Limes juiced
- Make the slaw. Shred the cabbage. Whisk together the sour cream and lime juice, season to taste and toss with the cabbage. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions. When it's cooked stir through the kidney beans.
- Make the fish. Whisk together the flour, cumin, coriander and chilli powder with plenty of salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat. Dredge the fish pieces in the flour mixture and fry in the hot oil until cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Assemble the bowls. Make the taco bowls by adding a scoop of rice to a bowl, top with some of the fish, slaw and any toppings you like!
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!