This healthy one pot fish stew is made hearty with the addition of white beans and is full of mediterranean flavour! Serve up with some crusty bread for an easy weeknight dinner.
Get ready team, I have your new favourite easy but impressive dinner right here 💛
This stew is full of white fish fillets, cannellini beans, sweet cherry tomatoes, plenty of garlic and chilli and salty green olives. And I’ve got to say, this is one of my favourite dinners of late.
There’s something about that combination of salty and spicy and sweet with those fish fillets which is just the best. Truly the best. Especially when paired with some crusty bread and a good drizzle of olive oil.
We’re so into this dinner.
I especially love making this Mediterranean fish stew at this time of year because it feels like a ray of sunshine when it’s cold and dark outside. It works perfectly on a busy weeknight because it takes just one pot (or frying pan/skillet if we’re being picky) so there’s very little clean up.
Plus it’s totally impressive enough to serve up if you’ve got guests. Grab a massive loaf of crusty bread, a bottle or two of white wine and some good friends and you’re in for an excellent evening.
I first made a version of this stew based on a recipe I found on Bon Appetit for skillet shrimp and cannellini beans but, to be honest, our budget rarely stretches to beautiful seafood like that so I went with a cheaper white fish and made a few changes to turn it into more of a stew.
Why we love this fish stew:
- As the title states, it’s a one pot recipe which makes it light on cleaning up and that can never be a bad thing
- It’s so easy to make and the whole thing comes together in just 30 minutes
- It’s packed with flavour from the olives, tomatoes, chilli and lemons for a fresh and spicy stew
- You can use any fish you like to make this stew and extra vegetables if you like
One Pot Easy Fish Stew Ingredients:
To make this recipe, you will need
- Cannellini Beans: Or, if you prefer, you can try using a different bean of your choice. Butter beans would be really good in here too.
- Onion, Chilli & Garlic: Ingredients guaranteed to add amazing flavour to anything and everything. Feel free to adjust the amount of chilli depending on your spice preference.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Sweet little nuggets. Cherry tomatoes are one of the few things I always go more expensive for because they really do taste so much better. Use up leftovers in this baked feta recipe
- White Fish Fillets: Use whichever you prefer, cod is delicious here or even haddock. I recommend going for your favourite type.
- Olives: Adding green olives to this stew adds a brilliant new flavour dimension but if you’re anti-olive (how?!) then leaving them out will still make an incredible stew. Use extras to make this olives and tomatoes on toast
- Lemon and Parsley: To serve. Make sure you add plenty of lemon slices and chopped parsley before serving.
How do you make quick fish stew?
- Cook the beans, onion, chilli and garlic. Cook the beans over a medium high heat until browned and crispy then lower the heat and add the onion chilli and garlic. Season to taste.
- Cook the cherry tomatoes until they burst. Add a little water and cook until a sauce forms then add the fish and vinegar and simmer until the fish is cooked through.
- Serve topped with lemon slices and chopped parsley. And plenty of crusty bread!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £12.00Was: £13.99
- Price: £10.99Was: £14.00
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
What is a good fish for stew?
I really like using a firm white fish. They hold their own in the sauce and they’re not too fishy in flavour so even non-fish lovers tend to enjoy them. Try a cod or halibut.
How long does it take to cook fish in a stew?
Depending on the size of your fish fillets it will only take five to ten minutes to cook your fish fillets. As we all probably know overcooked fish is not great so try and make sure that all your fillets are the same size so that they cook at the same rate.
What goes with fish stew?
I love this served with some crusty bread. If you’d like a vegetable along with it then try steamed broccoli or spinach.
Is fish stew healthy?
This is such a healthy recipe! Fish is full of omega-3 and protein and the rest of the stew is made up of tomatoes, beans and plenty of other vegetables.
Want more? Try these other fish recipes too!
- Goan Fish Curry
- Oven Cooked Salmon with Tomato & Garlic Sauce
- Pan Roasted Cod with Lemon White Wine Sauce
- 15 Minute Salmon Burgers with Garlic Yoghurt
- Fish Taco Bowls
- Sheet Pan Fish Tacos with Peppers
One Pot Fish Stew with White Beans
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 400g tin Cannellini Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Red Chilli chopped plus another one sliced to serve
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 250 g Cherry Tomatoes
- 500 g White Fish
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 50 g Olives halved
- Parsley and Bread to serve
- 1 Lemon sliced
- Heat half the olive oil in a skillet over a medium high heat and add the beans. Cook until browned and crispy. Lower the heat and add the onion, chilli and garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes and season to taste.
- Add the tomatoes and the rest of the oil and cook until the tomatoes burst. Add a little water if needed plus more seasoning and bring to a simmer. Use a wooden spoon to squash about a third of the beans so that they help thicken the sauce. Add the fish pieces and cook then add the vinegar.
- Serve topped with parsley, olives, sliced chilli and more olive oil plus some crusty bread.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!