Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This roasted butternut squash salad is great served warm or cold. It’s made with wild rice, goat’s cheese and drizzled with a lemon honey dressing.
This salad is so filling, so tasty and so healthy! All my favourite things 😍
Simple salads like this one are one of my go to weeknight dinners. Especially when I’m in the mood for something a little lighter and not as heavy on the cheese and carbs (it does happen occasionally I swear). Although if you’re interested in both cheese and carbs then check out this one pot orzo with roasted butternut squash.
Fortunately this pizza still has a little of both thanks to the wild rice and the goat’s cheese sprinkled on top.
I am just so into how quick and easy this butternut squash salad is to make. Once the squash is in the oven everything else can be prepped by throwing together in a bowl and whisking the dressing. It’s a 30 minute weeknight dinner of my dreams!
Why we love this roasted butternut squash salad:
- It’s healthy thanks to the butternut squash and rocket tossed with the wild rice
- The dressing is full of sweet and citrus flavour from the lemon juice and honey which makes this salad so moreish
- This salad is great for meal prep and I would highly recommend making a big batch on a Sunday to have for lunches all week long
- It’s topped with a homemade dukkah which adds an amazing extra layer of flavour. Dukkah is a blend of nuts and spices which I love to keep on hand to sprinkle over salads, soups, eggs and all kinds of other things
- This salad is also filling enough for a dinner because of the wild rice and squash
- It’s also gluten free and vegetarian which makes it a great dinner for people with dietary restrictions
Butternut Squash Salad with Wild Rice Ingredients:
- Butternut Squash: Peeled, chopped and roasted
- Wild Rice: I like to use the microwave pouches, the one I used for the salad was a mix of wild and basmati rice but you can use whatever you have access to
- Rocket: Also known as arugula if you’re in the states. Stuff leftovers into these spicy tofu sandwiches
- Goat’s Cheese: I like the to get the logs without rind which you can easily crumble into the salad. Add any extra to this Turkish eggs recipe
- Honey: Gives the dressing that amazing sweetness
- Lemon: The juice of a whole lemon goes into that dressing
- Red Wine Vinegar: For that extra bit of tang, try balsamic vinegar if you don’t have red wine vinegar
- Dijon Mustard: Gives a tiny bit of heat
- Dried Thyme: For a little herby flavour, switch for another dried herb if you prefer
- Dukkah: You can normally buy this in a supermarket or order it online. If you can’t find it you could try using a mixture of sunflower and pumpkin seeds instead
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £4.99
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: £9.48
- Price: £2.50
- Price: £7.74
Butternut Squash Salad with Wild Rice Instructions:
- Roast the squash: Peel and chop the squash and spread on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together all the dressing ingredients
- Finish the salad: Put all the salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss together, pour over the dressing and toss again. Serve sprinkled with dukkah.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £5.99
- Price: £4.80Was: £9.75
- Price: Check on Amazon
Expert Tips for Making this Butternut Squash Salad with Wild Rice:
- You can roast the butternut squash ahead of time to make this recipe even easier. Simply toss the roasted squash with all the other ingredients when you’re ready to serve
- If you fancy something a bit different then you could also make this recipe with sweet potato roasted in the same way
- If you’re not a fan of goat’s cheese then you could switch it out for feta which would also be delicious!
- If you want to bulk out this salad a bit more then try adding some puy lentils
What to serve with butternut squash salad?
I like to serve this salad with some crusty bread for a filling meal but it would also work well with some grilled fish or meat if you prefer.
Want more? Try these other salad recipes!
- Broccoli Egg Salad with Corn
- Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad with Sesame Dressing
- Middle Eastern Quinoa Salad
- Simple Pasta Salad with Balsamic
- Vegan Avocado Kale Caesar
- Halloumi Salad with Kale and Tahini Dressing
Did you make this butternut squash salad? Follow me on Instagram, post a photo and tag me @amycookreport or #thecookreport. I love to see what you’ve made!
Butternut Squash Salad with Wild Rice
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 200 g Wild Rice cooked
- 70 g Rocket
- 100 g Goat's Cheese crumbled
- 30 g Dukkah to serve
Lemon Honey Dressing
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until softened.
- Put the rice mixture into a large bowl and add the butternut squash. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and season to taste.
- Add the rocket to the rice and butternut squash along with the goat's cheese. Drizzle over the dressing and toss well. Serve topped with a sprinkling of dukkah.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!