These berbere lentils are healthy, filling and delicious. With a poached egg and Greek yoghurt on top they're a complete meal!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Here's a healthy dinner idea for ya! And it's so simple and easy too.
I've written about my love for berbere before. It's a North African spice mix which has an amazing spicy flavour which we discovered when we were in Marseilles last year at this amazing little spice shop we found.
Ingredients you need to make these berbere lentils with a poached egg:
- Olive Oil
- Berbere Spice Mix
- Green Lentils
- Vegetable Stock
- Greek Yoghurt
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for these berbere lentils...
So let's talk about these lentils. They're so super filling you don't need anything else, just lentils, I know, it's crazy!
It's exactly what you need if you're after healthy comfort food. Curl up on the sofa with a bowl of these spicy lentils topped with a poached egg and a scoop of yoghurt, doesn't that just sound perfect?
Make sure you don't miss all my other vegetarian recipes!
Keep scrolling to get the recipe...
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THESE BERBERE LENTILS WITH A POACHED EGG?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Berbere Lentils with a Poached Egg
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dried Ginger
- 3 tablespoon Berbere Spice Mix
- 200 g Green Lentils
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
- 250 ml Water
- 120 ml Pasata
- ½ Lemon juiced
- Fresh Coriander to serve
- 4 Eggs poached to your liking
- Greek Yoghurt to serve
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large stock pot and add the onion. Cook the onion for 5 minutes then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the berbere spice mix and ginger and stir to coat the onions. Tip in the lentils, stock and water. Bring to a boil and cook for 25 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- When the lentils are cooked pour in the pasata and lemon juice. Cook for 5 minutes then serve topped with fresh coriander, a poached egg and Greek yoghurt.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00V86WGB6,B077SRHSSJ,B00GMMA7LC,B00HEZ888K' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='bcab50bd-68c5-11e8-af03-01b307349b3c']