This quick and easy broccoli pesto is a fun twist on a classic pasta dish. Great for adding an extra vegetable to your dinner!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
I really really love broccoli. I find it weird that broccoli seems to be the go to vegetable of reference when people talk about how awful greens are. It’s the best one, right?
I could take or leave peas or cabbage but give me some slightly overcooked broccoli and I’ll be happy.
So this broccoli pesto is like my dream dinner. A handful of my favourite ingredients whizzed together in a blender and mixed through hot spaghetti.
Topped with a shower of finely grated parmesan. Yes! It’s so easy, so tasty and is on the table in like no time at all.
Ingredients you need to make this broccoli pesto with basil & pine nuts:
- Pine Nuts
- Olive Oil
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this broccoli pesto with basil & pine nuts…
Pasta is one of those things I feel like I need to eat at least every couple of weeks. It’s so comforting and so easy that it’s perfect for every situation.
Spaghetti is something I wasn’t really into until fairly recently. Too much faff when you could be stuffing your face with forkfuls of pasta without having to do any of this twirling nonsense.
But now I can appreciate the unique benefit of a longer pasta. It feels more luxurious somehow and it’s probably prettier to photograph which is always a win for me!
How to serve broccoli pesto with basil and pine nuts:
- Try serving it with something other than spaghetti or pasta. It’d be great stirred through quinoa similar to this green quinoa. Or how about with some white beans, oh man that’d be so tasty!
- If you fancy trying it with a different nut. You could easily switch the pine nuts out and make it with walnuts and almonds for an extra nutty flavour.
- If you want it without basil then try a different leafy herb like mint or coriander or even a couple of handfuls of spinach.
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS BROCCOLI PESTO WITH BASIL & PINE NUTS?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Broccoli Pesto with Basil & Pine Nuts
- 500 g Spaghetti
- 300 g Broccoli cuts into florets
- 50 g Pine Nuts
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 10 g Basil Leaves about 2 handfuls
- 50 g Parmesan grated
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the broccoli and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes. Drain and using the same pot boil another lot of salted water. This time add the spaghetti and cook according to the packet instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking make the pesto. Put the broccoli in a blender and blitz until it's chopped. Don't worry about it being smooth at this stage. Add the olive oil, pine nuts, garlic and basil and blitz again. Now it should be pretty smooth so add the parmesan, lemon juice and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Blend one final time until you've reached your preferred texture.
- Stir the pesto through the drained pasta and top with an extra shaving of parmesan.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £34.00Was: £39.99
- Price: Check on Amazon