This healthy butternut squash chilli makes the perfect topping for these vegetarian nachos. Add your favourite toppings for a delicious twist on a classic!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Ok so I don’t need to tell you guys that we really really really like nachos in this house.
Nacho Fridays are a regular occurrence although life keeps getting in the way so we’ve had to switch it up recently, these actually made an appearance on a Wednesday night. If you’re feeling something a little meatier you should definitely check out my chicken chilli nachos but today it’s all about the veggies.
So what’s great about these nachos?
The chilli is easy, tasty and dare I say it actually pretty healthy. It’s full of autumnal butternut squash and loads of spices and you could totally eat it over a big bowl of rice and feel completely happy and satisfied.
And it would probably be a bit healthier not gonna lie. But you could also put it on nachos and cover it in cheese and sour cream and homemade salsa and it will make your Wednesday night so so happy.
We made enough chilli to last us a good few days after the nachos so I give the quantities for 6 portions of chilli.
You could follow this by making enough nachos for 6 people because this meal would be EXCELLENT to feed a crowd of your most favourite people to share a dinner with. And by that I mean people who don’t hog the nachos and, let me tell you, there are very few of those people around.
Or you could do like we did and make enough nachos for dinner to share with your number one person and then save the leftovers for lunch the next day.
So when you’ve made your chilli and chucked it on some tortilla chips with several handfuls of cheese and it’s getting all melty in the oven you can make yourself some quick homemade salsa in a blender.
Then just serve the whole lot with spoonfuls of the fresh salsa dolloped on top.
Want more? Get all my vegetarian recipes before you go.
Keep scrolling to get the recipe…
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THESE BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHILLI VEGETARIAN NACHOS?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Butternut Squash Chilli Vegetarian Nachos
Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chilli
- Vegetable Oil
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and chopped about 1.5 kilos
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 400g tin Tomatoes
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 200 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Coriander
- 1 400g tin Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- Tortilla Chips
- Cheddar Cheese grated
- Sour Cream
- Salsa storebought or homemade
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Put the butternut squash into a pan with a drizzle of oil and let it cook for 10 minutes until softened. Add the onion, garlic and chilli and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour in the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and add in the spices. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the butternut squash is fully cooked. Add the kidney beans and cook for 5 minutes until the beans are warmed through.
- Place the tortilla chips in a skillet or oven tray and top with chilli and grated cheese. Place in the oven and cook until the cheese is completely melted. Remove and top with whatever toppings you fancy! Save any leftover chilli and serve with rice for another meal.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…