Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This butternut squash peanut stew is a great winter warmer. The peanut gives it a wonderful creaminess which you won’t be able to get enough of!
Yooooo, how’s it going everyone?
I’m already praying for the weekend, the days are dragging, it’s getting dark in the middle of the afternoon and I’m sick of it already. The only thing that’s making me feel better is that it’s already November. I realise that sounds like a bad thing but somehow October just passed me by and now it’s basically Christmas already which I’m totally cool with. I’m super excited for Christmas.
Please don’t hate me for mentioning Christmas.
The past few years Christmas hasn’t even been that big of a deal. I mainly just want time off work so I can hang out with Will all the time and see my fam.
Anyways, moving swiftly on from Christmas. Onto this stew. So first off how good are peanut sauces? Like seriously they make me so happy. Such creamy rich goodness. Other good things about this stew? It’s pretty healthy. It’s vegetarian. It’s great with any carb you fancy. It’s basically the perfect thing to make now the year has ticked over to November.
What’s your favourite winter meal? I’ve been surveying people on the subject to try and get some inspiration for future blog posts. Will suggested spaghetti bolognese and soup. Although when I pressed for a soup flavour he could only offer up carrot and coriander which I HATE and I guarantee will never make an appearance on this blog. Sorry.
So feel free to make some more useful suggestions.
Although I guess I can’t be too hard on Will since this recipe is all down to him. And he did an excellent job, this stew is super tasty.
Butternut Squash Peanut Stew with Black Eye Beans
- 1 Butternut Squash approx. 1.5kg, chopped into cubes
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 1 Medium Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Red Pepper cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 125g Peanut Butter
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 400g Can Black Eye Beans drained and rinsed
- 100g Spinach
- Bunch Fresh Coriander chopped
- Handful Chopped Peanuts
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pot oven a medium heat. Add the butternut squash and cook for 10 minutes. Pierce the scotch bonnet and add to the pot, if the stew gets too spicy at any point then remove the pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes followed by the onion. Cook for another 10 minutes. Add the red pepper and cook until it's softened.
- Add the cumin, tomato puree, peanut butter, vegetable stock and black eye beans. Bring to the boil then reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes. At some point during this time you should taste to check the spice levels and reduce the scotch bonnet when it's reached your preferred heat. Once the sauce has thickened remove from the heat and add the spinach. Stir through to wilt and then serve the stew with your grain of choice and topped with coriander and peanuts.
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS BUTTERNUT SQUASH PEANUT STEW WITH BLACK EYE BEANS?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Looking for another winter warmer with butternut squash? Try this duck tagine with chickpeas & butternut squash
Use up any leftover coriander to top this chorizo shakshuka