If you’re looking for a great gluten free dinner that’s on the table in half an hour then this chorizo polenta skillet is the perfect thing!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
It’s a well documented fact that I’m obsessed with polenta. You can see just how obsessed here, here and here. Oh and here. It’s a big warm cuddle in a bowl, or in this case a skillet, and I cannot get enough of it. If Will would let me eat it everyday I probably would.
I’m constantly on the look out for ways to eat it and I find that Mexican flavours are one of the best combinations with cheesy, creamy polenta. It’s something about that slight spiciness which is so perfect. I really cannot get enough.
Normally we’d make the polenta and sauce separately and then put them together before serving but for this I wanted to try serving it all in one skillet so I cooked the chorizo mixture in the skillet while the polenta was cooking, then tipped the mixture out onto a plate and poured in the polenta.
A layer of refried beans went on before adding the chorizo back followed by a hearty helping of grated cheese (obviously). Then all that’s left to do is to put it under the grill and let everything brown and crisp a little until it’s ready to eat.
This whole thing is so easy to make and has so few ingredients but tastes amazing. What more could you want?
Ingredients you need to make this cheesy chorizo polenta skillet with refried beans:
- Chicken Stock
- Fine Polenta
- Cheddar Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Cooking Chorizo
- Tomato Puree
- Refried Beans
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this cheesy chorizo polenta skillet…
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS CHORIZO POLENTA SKILLET?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Chorizo Polenta Skillet with Refried Beans
- 500 ml Chicken Stock
- 500 ml Milk
- 200 g Fine Polenta
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 40 g Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 200 g Cooking Chorizo broken up or chopped
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 400g tin Refried Beans
- 50 g Cheddar Cheese grated
- Make the polenta by bringing the chicken stock and milk to the boil. While whisking, pour in the polenta, once everything is mixed together cook over a low heat for 10 minutes before adding the butter and 75g of cheddar cheese. Heat the grill to medium.
- While the polenta is cooking heat the olive oil over a medium heat in an oven proof skillet or frying pan. Add the chorizo and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes and wait until they've released they're liquid. Add the tomato puree, stir everything together, then tip the mixture out onto a plate.
- Pour the polenta into the skillet and spread out into a single layer. Top with the refried beans, smoothing out as much as possible. Add the chorizo mixture to the top of the polenta followed by the 50g of cheddar cheese. Place under the grill for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and a little browned.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: Out of stock