This Moroccan chickpea & lentil soup is a delicious, healthy and filling soup. I serve mine topped with a scoop of Greek yoghurt and a crumbling of feta.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
You might be thinking it's a little weird for me to be sharing a hearty soup like this Moroccan chickpea and lentil soup in the middle of summer but we ate this a little while ago and I really don't want to have to wait another 2 months until I can share it with you all!
Plus I reckon this would totally go down well any time of year and although it has been particularly pleasant weather here the past week or so, knowing English weather it'll be back to rain before we know it!
This Moroccan chickpea & lentil soup is really filling and super duper healthy. There's the lentils and chickpeas and I chucked in some sweet potato to bulk it out even more.
Depending on how you like your soup you can add extra stock to thin it out or leave it how it is and have it more stew like. Either way you'll be full of tasty soup by the end.
A good soup is only as good as its toppings as they say (they totes say that) so we've got a dollop of Greek yoghurt on there and I like to crumble some feta on as well.
It gets all melty and delicious and adds an extra burst of flavour to the soup. So we're loving the soup for all year round?
Ingredients you need to make this Moroccan chickpea & lentil soup:
- Sweet Potato
- Red Pepper
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Vegetable Stock
- Smoked Paprika
- Green Lentils
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro)
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this Moroccan chickpea & lentil soup...
Anyways, did everyone have a good weekend? We went to a local festival on Saturday and then went for street food, both of which were excellent.
Don't the weekends just go too fast? Even though I like my job it'd still be nice to have an extra day or two off you know? Especially when I never seem to be able to get anywhere near as much blog stuff done as I want to.
Keep scrolling to get the recipe!
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT WHEN YOU'VE MADE THIS MOROCCAN CHICKPEA & LENTIL SOUP?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Moroccan Chickpea & Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger peeled & grated
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 small Sweet Potato peeled & chopped
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 litre Chicken/Vegetable Stock (plus a little more if you like a thinner soup)
- 2 tablespoon Harissa We used rose harissa but you could also use a red harissa
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Ras-el-Hanout
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 300 g Green Lentils
- 1 400g tin Chickpeas drained & rinsed
- Squeeze Fresh Lemon Juice
- 50 g Feta for crumbling on top
- Greek Yoghurt to serve
- Coriander chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, pepper followed by the harissa, paprika, ras-el-hanout, cumin and cinnamon to the pot. Stir everything together and make sure that everything is coated in the spices.
- Tip in the stock, chopped tomatoes and lentils. Bring to the boil and then leave to simmer for about 20 minutes. The lentils should be cooked and the sweet potato should be softened. Add the chickpeas. Check the texture and add a little more stock if you'd like it thinner.
- After another five minutes remove the soup from the heat and stir through a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve into bowls and top with a crumbling of feta, a dollop of Greek yoghurt and some chopped coriander.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00V86WGB6,B077SRHSSJ,B003ASATPA,B00T98EXHA,B00HEZ888K,B000KGCOB2' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='8351eac0-55dc-11e8-a011-21845cc4b75b']