These spicy chicken burrito bowls with cheesy polenta are extreme comfort food and surprisingly quick to make! They're the perfect weeknight winter dinner.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Do you have Timehop? It's a bit lame but looking through it is often a highlight of my early morning phone-checking-routine. It's just nice to remember the things I've been up to you know?
Will and I often compare notes, chatting about this day a year or two years ago, does that make us sad? Probably.
Anyways, today when I looked at Timehop I saw the photos of the first time I made this meal, exactly a year ago, and I posted it on Instagram before I'd even started this blog.
I can still remember eating it, after I'd come back to London from being at home for Christmas, and all Will and I wanted was a big bowl of comfort food which is exactly what we got from these spicy chicken burrito bowls.
It's been a while since I posted a polenta recipe. You all know about my polenta obsession but for a while we stopped eating it so much.
I can't think why we would ever do that because it's just the best food. A big warm cheesy cuddle, that's what I like.
(P.S. There are many polenta recipes right >>>here)
So this recipe then. It's a big heap of tomatoey chicken with onions, peppers, garlic and loads of spices which is cooked on the hob until the chicken is cooked and the whole mixture is all rich and delicious.
While that's doing its thing you can go ahead and make your cheesy polenta. It's a fool proof method which just requires, milk, stock, butter, fine polenta and whatever cheese your heart desires!
I used bone in chicken thighs for these spicy chicken burrito bowls. Once they've been cooking for a while you can pull them out and strip the meat from them before chucking it back in the pot.
If you can't be bothered with that of course, you can just use chopped up boneless chicken breasts or thighs.
Want more? Get all my other chicken recipes before you go!
Keep scrolling to get the recipe...
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT ONCE YOU'VE MADE THESE SPICY CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS WITH CHEESY POLENTA?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Spicy Chicken Burrito Bowls with Cheesy Polenta
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 700 g Chicken Thighs bone in
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Red Pepper chopped
- 1 Yellow Pepper chopped
- 1 litre Chicken Stock
- 1 litre Milk
- 400 g Fine Polenta
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 150 g Cheddar Cheese grated
- 50 g Parmesan grated
- Fresh Coriander
- Heat the olive oil over a medium high heat in a large pot and add the chicken. Brown on one side for 5 minutes then flip and brown the other side. Remove the chicken from the pot and place on a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, peppers and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and all the spices and return the chicken to the pot. Cover and leave to cook for 20 minutes while you make the polenta.
- Bring the milk and chicken stock to the boil in a large pot then add the polenta. Whisk thoroughly and cook for 15 minutes over a medium low heat. Add the butter and cheese and whisk again until everything is combined.
- Once the chicken has been cooking for 20 minutes remove the lid and pull out the chicken thighs. Chop up the meat and remove the bones then return the chicken to the sauce and stir together.
- Serve the polenta topped with the chicken and whatever other toppings you fancy.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00V86WGB6,B077SRHSSJ,B00GMMA7LC,B00HEZ888K,B0007VO0CQ' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='b5b1d3b9-7973-11e8-b9f9-c711eee5488e']