This squash & aubergine tagine is a delicious vegetarian dinner. Bursting with Moroccan flavour this tagine is healthy and suitable for vegans!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
As we all know, there's nothing better than a big bowl of warm, spicy deliciousness during the winter months.
Even this squash & aubergine tagine does the job despite the fact it's actually healthy! It's so simple but the depth of flavour is just insane. Plus the slow cooking makes the vegetables go so creamy and tender, you won't be able to stop eating.
The best thing about this recipe?
Well, there are a few.
First off, it's got a healthy dose of ras-el-hanout in it. One of the best spice blends ever, agreed?
Ras-el-hanout is a North African spice blend which includes such wonderful ingredients as cumin, paprika and cinnamon plus loads of other yummy stuff. We bought some when we were in Marseille last summer in this amazing spice shop we found and it's lasted us really well. You only need to use a little to go a long way and there's so many great ways to use it that it's definitely worth investing in if you don't already have some.
Second great thing about this recipe?
It's the perfect thing to eat when you need something super comforting but also healthy. Something that's full of vegetables and is going to leave you feeling satisfied but light. We used a crown prince squash for this which is one we got from our local farmer's market. It turns out slightly creamier in texture than regular butternut so it's definitely worth using it if you can get your hands on it although be warned it's a lot of effort to chop up.
However, if you can't get one then butternut will definitely work here and taste delicious too.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS SQUASH & AUBERGINE TAGINE WITH OLIVES:
- Olive Oil
- Aubergine (Eggplant)
- Rose Harissa
- Cinnamon Stick
- Cardamom Pods
- Preserved Lemon
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Vegetable Stock
- Green Olives
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this squash & aubergine tagine...
Want more? Get all my vegetarian recipes before you go!
Keep scrolling to get the recipe...
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT ONCE YOU'VE MADE THIS SQUASH & AUBERGINE TAGINE WITH OLIVES?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Squash & Aubergine Tagine with Olives
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large Aubergine
- 400-500 g Squash I used crown prince squash but if you can't get then use butternut
- 1 Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 Chillis whole
- 2 teaspoon Ras el Hanout
- 2 teaspoon Rose Harrisa
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 5 Cardamom Pods
- 1-2 Preserved Lemons halved
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 300 ml Chicken/Vegetable Stock
- 100 g Green Olives
- Couscous and Pitta Bread to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Put 1tablespoon of olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole or tagine. Cut aubergine and squash into chunks and fry over a medium-low heat until slightly softened.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until translucent. Add ras el hanout, harissa and whole chilli peppers, and fry for 1-2 mins until fragrant.
- Add cinnamon, passata, preserved lemons, juice of the lemon, honey, stock and cardamoms. Season with salt and pepper, cover and put in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven. Add the olives and remove the chillies, cinnamon stick, preserved lemons and serve with couscous and pitta bread.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!