This Thai coconut chicken skillet is super sticky and full of flavour. Served with a refreshing Asian slaw it’s the perfect weeknight dinner!
It’s so nice to cook chicken in a cast iron skillet. Until last year we hadn’t discovered the beauty of a skillet but now we use it all the time. It’s so fantastic at keeping in heat so that everything gets cooked evenly and I also just love how rustic it looks 😆
We have the classic lodge one and I’m very excited about the whole ‘passing it on to your grandchildren’ thing that people talk about with cast iron cookware. We loved our skillet so much we went out and got the griddle pan as well. The only downer about cast iron is it can be a pain to clean, especially if you’re making something sticky like this so I invested in these scrapers and they actually made my life.
Ahhhh it’s Christmas! And I’ve finally recovered from the miserable illness I’ve been suffering with for dayssssss. Which means I can start getting in the mood for celebrating.
Also trying to get all the things done that I was supposed to be doing this week but was too ill to do. Like wrapping presents and cleaning the flat ready for my parents to arrive 🙄
But let’s not worry about that and let’s think about this sticky Thai coconut chicken skillet instead. It’s so freaking good. This marinade is so good you need to be using it on any and all chicken you make in the future.
There’s loads of garlic, coconut milk, a touch of peanut butter and plenty of sweetness to make it super sticky. You start off by making the sauce on the hob and then coating your chicken thighs in it and popping it in the oven to get really sticky and the chicken cooked through.
I used chicken thighs because they’re my fave but I’m weird about bones/skin on meat sometimes so I went for the fillets.
It’d be just as tasty (if not more) with bone in, skin on thighs or you could do breasts if you like them better, just make sure you adjust your cooking times accordingly.
Ingredients you need to make this sticky Thai coconut chicken:
- Chicken Thighs
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Rice Vinegar
- Coconut Milk
- Brown Sugar
- Peanut Butter
- Soy Sauce
- Fresh Coriander/Cilantro
So let’s just take a minute to enjoy the colourful beauty of that slaw right there. In the miserable winter greyness this slaw will give you life.
I am a huge fan of this kind of Asian slaw. It’s the perfect combo of crunchy, sweet, salty and tangy and goes so well with the warm, sticky Thai coconut chicken and rice.
Ingredients you need to make this Asian slaw:
- Red Pepper
- Red Onion
- Red Chilli
- White Cabbage
- Fish Sauce
- Lime Juice
- Caster Sugar
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this sticky Thai coconut chicken skillet with Asian slaw…
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS STICKY THAI COCONUT CHICKEN SKILLET WITH ASIAN SLAW?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Sticky Thai Coconut Chicken Skillet with Asian Slaw
- 4 Chicken Thighs skinless and boneless
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 60 ml Rice Vinegar
- 60 ml Coconut Milk
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp Ginger grated
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Bunch Fresh Coriander (cilantro) chopped
- Sticky Rice to serve
For the Slaw
- 2 Carrots peeled and grated
- 1 Red Pepper finely chopped
- 1 Red Onion finely sliced
- 1 Red Chilli finely chopped
- 1/4 White Cabbage shredded
- 3 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tsp Caster Sugar
- Handful Fresh Coriander (cilantro) chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet and cook the chicken for a couple of minutes on either side. Remove and place on a plate.
- Whisk together the sweet chilli sauce, rice vinegar, coconut milk, brown sugar, garlic, peanut butter, ginger, lime juice and soy sauce. Pour the sauce into the skillet. Bring to the boil and then simmer for a minute then return the chicken to the skillet and coat with the sauce. Place in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking make the slaw by mixing together all the ingredients and tossing throughly. Serve the chicken and slaw with sticky rice.
Did you make this recipe?Make sure you follow The Cook Report on Instagram and tag #TheCookReport so we can see what you've made!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £57.57Was: £63.50
- Price: £10.99Was: £13.94
- Price: £10.99Was: £14.00
- Price: £8.26Was: £9.75
- Price: £7.65Was: £7.99
- Price: £9.00