Aubergine pasta bake with a balsamic tomato sauce and topped with plenty of melted cheese is a comforting and filling vegetarian dinner. This eggplant baked pasta is perfect for colder weather.
Pasta bake is the perfect comfort food 🍴
Aubergine Pasta Bake
This baked pasta is such a dream. Despite how simple it is it’s full of so much flavour thanks to the balsamic spiked tomato sauce and the melty aubergines.
This is also a great one for meal prep. We were in Oslo over the weekend and I made a big batch of this pasta before we left and stocked the freezer with portions of it ready for easy lunches and dinners when we got back.
The whole thing is topped with melted mozzarella and I added a handful of whole cherry tomatoes before baking which burst in the most satisfying way once baked and add loads of juiciness to the whole dish.
Why we love this eggplant baked pasta…
It’s a vegetarian recipe which makes it perfect for when you’re going meat free but still want a filling and tasty dinner.
It’s perfect comfort food with plenty of cheese and carbs which makes it a dream meal now that the weather is cooling down.
It’s great for meal prep because it lasts well in the fridge or it can be frozen for easy grab and go lunches and dinners.
You can add any extras to this recipe from proteins to veggies to bulk it out and make it your own.
Aubergine Pasta Ingredients
Aubergines: Also known as eggplant in the US, these are cooked into the sauce and get all melty and delicious
Onion & Garlic: Essentials to any Italian dish
Pasta: I used fusilli but you can go with any short cut pasta
Chopped Tomatoes: Whatever your favourite tinned variety is
Dried Herbs: I used thyme and oregano for that classic Italian flavour
Balsamic Vinegar: Adds an amazing tangy sweetness to the sauce
Cherry Tomatoes: These are stirred through the pasta bake whole so that they get all roasted and soft
Mozzarella: For that crispy cheesy topping
How to make aubergine pasta bake?
Start the sauce: Cook the pasta. Heat the oil and add the aubergine, cook for a while then add the onion followed by the garlic and cook for a little longer.
Finish the sauce: Add the chopped tomatoes to the sauce along with the herbs and balsamic, simmer until thickened.
Make the pasta bake: Mix the pasta with the sauce and cherry tomatoes. Put in a baking dish and top with the mozzarella then bake until the cheese is melted.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Want more? Try these other pasta recipes!
- Bucatini Cacio e Pepe
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagne
- Fall Asiago Pasta
- Truffle Mac and Cheese with Gnocchi
- Gnocchi alla Vodka
- Prawn Pasta with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet with Spaghetti
Aubergine Pasta Bake with Balsamic Tomato Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Aubergines chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 400 g Pasta
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 100 g Cherry Tomatoes
- 150 g Mozzarella
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°. Put a pan of salted water on to get to a boil. Heat the olive oil in a large oven proof pot over a medium heat and add the aubergine and plenty of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften then add the onion and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes then pour in the chopped tomatoes, thyme, oregano and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 8 minutes until slightly underdone. Drain then add to the tomato and aubergine mixture along with the cherry tomatoes. Stir together then tear over the mozzarella. Place in the oven 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!