This healthy vegan bean chilli is made from a mixture of kidney and black beans for an easy and filling Mexican style dinner. Serve with rice, in wraps or on nachos!
Is there anything better than a veggie chilli?
There’s something so comforting about a big bowl of spicy chilli but I like to keep it veggie as much as possible during the week so I need to find vegetarian versions of my favourite foods.
I love my veggie chilli made with lentils and sweet potato but I wanted to try another version made with beans instead since they’re my favourite part of a meaty chilli.
It turned out so well with a rich spicy sauce and bags of flavour thanks to the addition of roasted red peppers. I served ours in wraps but it would be equally good with rice or on nachos.
Why we love this bean chilli:
- It’s so healthy thanks to all the fibre filled beans which makes it such a great family dinner
- It’s vegan which makes it a meal that everyone can enjoy
- It’s gluten free and dairy free so it’s great for people with dietary restrictions
- It’s super versatile and can be served in so many different ways which makes it perfect for meal prep
Bean Chilli Ingredients:
- Olive Oil
- Spices: Garlic, chilli powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano and chipotle paste all go into this chilli to make it amazingly flavourful
- Roasted Red Peppers: Jarred or you can roast your own
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Beans: I used kidney beans and black beans but you could use any beans you like
Bean Chilli Instructions:
- Fry the onion and garlic: Heat the olive oil in a large pot and fry the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the peppers and spices: Add the chopped peppers and the spices then pour in the chopped tomatoes, chipotle paste and sugar.
- Simmer: Add the beans and simmer for 20 minutes until thickened.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
This recipe is vegan and gluten free as written and you can keep it that way by sticking with avocado and lime wedges or you could try adding sour cream, grated cheese or tortilla chips.
Expert tips for making bean chilli:
- Use whatever beans you like in this chilli. I really love kidney beans in a chilli but pinto or cannellini would also work
- If you like it spicy then add another spoonful of chilli powder or if you want it mild then reduce it
- If you want to add more vegetables to this chilli then feel free, spinach stirred through before serving would be awesome
- If you’re not keeping it vegan then make sure to add a scoop of sour cream to this chilli when you serve it
Want more? Try these other vegetarian recipes!
- Baked Curried Cauliflower Steaks
- Creamy Cauliflower and Chickpea Curry
- Marinated Mushroom Kale Tacos
- 15 Minute Kimchi Fried Rice
- Baked Asparagus with Eggs and Parmesan
- Peanut Tofu Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
Easy Mixed Bean Chilli with Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 200g jar Roasted Red Peppers chopped
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Chipotle Paste
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 400g tin Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 2 400g tins Black Beans drained and rinsed
- Fresh Coriander chopped to serve
- Sour Cream to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until softened then add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the roasted red peppers and all the spices and cook for another couple of minutes until the spices are fragrant. Add the chopped tomatoes, chipotle paste and sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Add the beans to the sauce and simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Serve with sour cream and fresh coriander.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!