These crispy fried peanut tofu tacos are an easy and healthy weeknight meal. The tacos are stuffed with spicy tofu, crunchy red cabbage slaw and chopped peanuts.
This may be my favourite tofu recipe yet 😍
I'm putting tofu in every meal I can think of because it's my new favourite vegetarian ingredient. After resisting trying tofu for far too long I finally gave into the temptation and now I'm obsessed!
And now we've got tofu tacos to add to the list and oh my god they're so delicious. I made a slightly spicy peanut sauce which I used to marinate the tofu before frying until crispy on the edges, saving plenty of the sauce to drizzle over the finished tacos.
I like to serve these tacos with the added crunch of red cabbage tossed with lime juice and rice vinegar for a light and fresh slaw.
Why we love these tofu tacos:
- They're vegetarian and easily made vegan so make a great meal for when you're avoiding meat or animal products
- These tacos are spicy and full of flavour thanks to the peanut sauce
- They're so quick and easy to make and you can even meal prep the sauce and slaw ahead of time for an even quicker weeknight meal
Tacos with Peanut Tofu and Cabbage Slaw Ingredients:
- Peanut Sauce: Made from soy sauce, hoisin sauce, chilli paste, honey, peanut butter, ginger, lime juice, garlic, rice vinegar and cornflour for a sauce full of amazing flavour
- Tofu: Firm or extra firm tofu is needed here so that it can be cubed and fried
- Sesame Oil: For frying
- Peanuts: Chopped to sprinkle over the tacos before serving
- Tortilla Wraps: Get the mini taco ones and char them before serving
- Coriander: Chopped and sprinkled over the tacos
- Slaw: Made from red cabbage, lime juice and rice vinegar for plenty of crunch and tang
Peanutty Tacos with Tofu & Slaw Instructions:
- Marinate the tofu: Whisk together all the sauce ingredients. Press and cube the tofu then toss with ⅓ of the sauce.
- Make the slaw: Toss the cabbage with the lime juice and rice vinegar and set aside until ready to use.
- Fry the tofu: Heat the sesame oil over a high heat and fry the tofu until crispy then serve with the slaw, coriander and chopped peanuts in tortillas.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
Expert tips for making these tacos:
- As with most tofu recipes it's important to press the tofu before frying it to get rid of any excess moisture, that will help to make sure the tofu crisps up when fried. To do this you can use a tofu press or wrap it in kitchen towel on a plate and put under something heavy like a cast iron skillet for at least 10 minutes
- To make this recipe vegan simply switch the honey in the peanut sauce for maple syrup or agave nectar
- To meal prep this recipe make the slaw and sauce ahead of time and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days
- If you want your tofus to be spicier then serve them with some extra hot sauce, I think sriracha works particularly well with this Asian-Mexican fusion dish
Can these tacos be made gluten free?
Yes! Simply make sure to use corn tortillas and switch the soy sauce for tamari.
How long can you store the taco filling?
This peanut tofu can be stored in the fridge for up to three days ready for you to have tasty tacos whenever you fancy them!
Want more? Try these other taco recipes:
- Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Black Beans
- Crispy Chorizo Tacos
- Chipotle Cauliflower Tacos with Greek Yoghurt Slaw
- Slow Cooker Korean Jackfruit Tacos
- Salmon Tacos with Quick Pickled Red Onions
Peanut Tofu Tacos with Red Cabbage Slaw
For the Sauce
- 4 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
- 3 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Chilli Paste
- 2 tablespoon Honey use maple syrup or agave for vegan version
- 2 tablespoon Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Ginger grated
- 2 Limes juiced
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Corn Flour
For the tacos
- 2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 400 g Tofu pressed and cubed
- 6 Tortilla Wraps
- Small bunch Coriander chopped, to serve
- 50 g Peanuts chopped, to serve
For the slaw
- ½ Red Cabbage chopped
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients. Add the tofu, peanuts and ⅓ of the sauce to a bowl and leave to marinate for as long as you have.
- Toss together the slaw ingredients and set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil over a medium high heat and add the tofu, fry for about 10 minutes until the tofu is crisped. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the tofu in wraps with the slaw, coriander and chopped peanuts along with extra sauce for drizzling
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!