This skillet vegetable pie has a creamy vegetarian filling topped with puff pastry circles and drizzled with an incredible garlic parsley butter. It’s easy winter comfort food.
One pot meals are such a beautiful creation and in winter a one pot pie is pretty much the best possible dinner 😍
One of the things I’ve really been enjoying lately is making vegetarian versions of some of my favourite traditional recipes. Whether it’s a rich vegetable stew with polenta or a vegetarian shepherd’s pie it’s so fun to find a way to make my favourite recipes without the meat.
When we first tried to cut down on our meat consumption I found it pretty difficult but it’s gradually got easier and easier and part of the reason is that I’ve found ways to make some of my all time favourite dishes without the meat.
I absolutely adore this creamy vegetarian puff pastry pie. It’s super comforting and has a creamy sauce to die for.
But the thing that makes this pie really special is the garlic parsley butter drizzled over the pastry after baking. It adds the extra burst of flavour which just tastes incredible.
I mean obviously. It’s garlic butter!
And it is truly so comforting and flavourful and a big old massive flavour bomb.
Why we love this skillet vegetable pie with garlic butter:
- First off it’s a vegetarian pie which keeps it good for everyone while still feeling indulgent and full of flavour
- It takes a couple of short cuts like using shop bought puff pastry which makes this recipe quick and easy
- You can also lighten it up a little bit by leaving off the garlic butter if you’re keeping an eye on calories
Skillet Veggie Pie with Garlic Butter Ingredients:
- Vegetables: I made this pie with onion, carrots, potatoes and kale but pretty much anything would work, try broccoli or cauliflower for even more texture. You can use up leftovers in this pressure cooker chicken casserole or this one pot vegetarian lasagne
- Herbs: I added a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme to the creamy sauce and it adds some yummy herby flavour along with some chopped parsley in the garlic butter for a hint of freshness
- Puff Pastry: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, ain’t nobody got time to make puff pastry from scratch. Don’t be a hero, use the shop bought stuff and save yourself the hassle on a weeknight
- Butter and Garlic: For the incredible garlic butter drizzle to finish off the pie
How to Make Vegetable Pie:
- Cook the vegetables: Heat the oven. Melt the butter and add the onion, carrot and potato to the skillet. Cook then add the garlic.
- Make the sauce: Add the flour to the skillet then add the milk and herbs and cook for 5-10 minutes until the sauce is beginning to thicken.
- Add the pastry: Roll out the pastry and cut out circles, add them to the top of the sauce and brush with beaten egg. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Drizzle with garlic butter: Remove the pie from the oven and drizzle over the garlic butter before serving.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £43.22Was: £63.50
- Price: £1.08
- Price: Check on Amazon
Skillet Vegetarian Pie with Garlic Butter Variations:
- Use different vegetables: I think this pie would be delicious made with broccoli or spinach or even butternut squash. You could really add anything you like so use up whatever you have on hand
- Try adding more protein: If you’re missing the meat then add some shredded cooked chicken to the sauce before adding the pastry
- Bulk it out: If you’re still hungry then try stirring some cooked beans through the sauce, butter beans would be really good in there
- Try a different pastry: If you’re not a big fan of puff pastry then you could definitely make this with shortcrust pastry
- Make it a vegetable cheese pie: If you fancy it you could stir a couple of handfuls of grated cheese through the filling for an extra indulgence
What to serve with this pie?
I like to serve this pie as a meal in itself but if you need a little extra it would definitely be delicious with some mashed potatoes on the side, just sayin’.
Want more? Try these other pie recipes!
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Healthy Moroccan Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Mash
- Easy Fish Pie
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Mushrooms
Skillet Vegetable Pie with Garlic Butter
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Potato peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 100 g Kale chopped
- 30 g Flour
- 250 ml Vegetable Stock
- 750 ml Milk
- 3 sprigs Thyme
- 2 sprigs Rosemary chopped
- 300 g Ready Rolled Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 tbsp Butter melted
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 10 sprigs Parsley leaves picked and chopped
- Heat over to 200°C/400°F. Melt the butter in a skillet and add the onion, carrot and potato, season with lots of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until slightly softened then add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour into the skillet and cook until beginning to brown then add the stock followed by the milk, stirring the whole time and making sure to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add the rosemary and thyme. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes until the sauce is thickened. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Roll out the pastry and cut circles using a biscuit cutter or a glass. Place the circles over the top of the pie. Brush beaten egg over the pastry circles. Place the pie in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- Melt the butter and mix with the garlic and parsley, drizzle over the pastry and serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!