This vegan mushroom burger made with chickpeas and pearl barley is served stuffed in a brioche bun with all your classic veggie burger toppings for a delicious vegetarian option.
Veggie burgers for the win 🙌
They’re just the best and this mushroom burger is up there with the best of them (and yes I’m including my all time favourite veggie burgers in that).
These burgers are made with chopped mushrooms, pearl barley and chickpeas so they’re super filling and satisfying. Pearl barley and mushroom are both great at adding that meatiness that you need in a burger and the chickpeas add that extra protein hit.
I add a scoop of miso paste and some dried thyme to the burger mix before shaping the patties so that they’re packed full of flavour and umami-ness and then serve them sandwiched in a brioche bun with whatever burger toppings and sauce I have on hand.
Why we love this mushroom burger:
- These mushroom and barley burgers are a healthy vegan alternative to your classic bean or lentil veggie burger
- They’re easy to make with the help of a blender to mix and chop all the ingredients together
- They require just ten ingredients which are mostly things you’re likely to already have on hand
- You can top them with anything you like although I like to keep it classic with some greens and tomatoes
Mushroom and Barley Burger Ingredients:
- Mushrooms: These are chopped and roasted before adding to the burgers
- Dried Thyme: Or you could switch for a different dried herb if you prefer
- Pearl Barley: Cooked according to packet instructions
- Chickpeas: Tinned is fine
- Miso Paste: For that extra umami flavour
- Panko Breadcrumbs: To help bind the burgers
Veggie Burger with Mushroom Instructions:
- Roast the mushrooms: Spread the chopped mushrooms and onions on a baking sheet, toss with oil, thyme and salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes
- Make the burger mix: Put all the burger ingredients into a blender and blend until mostly smooth
- Fry the burgers: Shape the mix into patties then fry over a high heat until browned then serve in buns
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Expert tips for making these mushroom burgers:
- You can blend the burger mixture according to how you like your burgers. I like a slightly chunkier burger so I don’t blend until completely smooth to keep a bit of the texture but you could get it completely smooth if you prefer
- You can make these burgers ahead and freeze any extras. Simply wrap them or put them in a bag once cooled and then pop them in the freezer, defrost thoroughly and then reheat in a pan or the microwave before eating
- These burgers are vegan but if you’re not sticking to a vegan diet you could definitely serve them with cheese on top which I can guarantee would be delicious
- Miso paste is normally available in supermarkets but if you’re struggling to find it scroll up for the link to the brand I normally use on Amazon
- When frying the burgers I like to add them to a hot pan and leave still for at least 2-3 minutes to give time for a crust to develop. It’s always tempting to start moving them around earlier than that but it just makes them more likely to fall apart
Want more? Try these other vegetarian burgers!
- Spinach and Pea Burgers
- Beetroot Burgers with Whipped Feta
- Black Bean BBQ Burger
- Baked Falafel Burger with Chipotle Mayo
- Cheesy Broccoli Vegan Burger
- Veggie Burger with Quinoa & Cannellini Beans
Mushroom Burger with Pearl Barley
- 500 g Mushrooms chopped
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 150 g Pearl Barley cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 400g tin Chickpea drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Miso Paste
- 75 g Panko
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Heat the oven to 220°C/425°. Mix the mushrooms and onion with the oil, thyme and salt and pepper then spread onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Put the cooked mushroom and onion, chickpeas, garlic and miso paste into a food processor and blend until mostly smooth. Tip into a large bowl and add the barley and breadcrumbs.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Shape the mixture into 8 patties and fry for 5 minutes on each side until browned. Serve in buns with your favourite toppings.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!