This vegetarian mushroom stew is an easy comforting dinner that's perfect for a cold winter night. It's amazing topped with cheesy gruyere dumplings and served with a loaf of crusty bread.
These cheesy dumplings are just the best!
Stew is the ultimate winter dinner, don't you think? There's a couple of stew recipes already on the blog including this smoky bean stew, a filling and delicious vegan stew and this rich vegetable stew.
But this mushroom stew really takes the biscuit and I'm not gonna lie the cheesy dumplings are a major factor in that. I guess you could leave them out which would make it a much lighter meal but since it's winter I think that's the perfect reason to bulk out your dinner with these delicious dumplings.
The stew is pretty easy and starts off with carrots, onions, butternut squash and finally the mushrooms which all makes it super filling on its own and also lovely and healthy.
I added a bottle of beer to the sauce which gave it an amazing richness which I loved. I actually went with a bottle of Will's homebrew but you could use any beer you like, the darker ones will give a stronger taste. If you prefer not to cook with beer then replace it with extra vegetable stock.
Why we love this mushroom stew...
This is a delicious vegetarian dinner which is still super filling thanks to all the vegetables and those delicious cheesy dumplings.
Although it takes a little while to simmer the stew and cook all the vegetables the prep time is super quick and once you've got everything in the pot you just need to throw together the dumpling mixture and allow everything to simmer.
You can also easily make this stew vegan by leaving off the dumplings and using a vegan alternative to the butter. It will still be super tasty!
You can use any vegetables you like in this stew which makes it a great clean out the fridge recipe.
Mushroom and Butternut Squash Stew Ingredients
Vegetables: This stew starts off with onion, garlic and carrots and then you add butternut squash and mushrooms and saute everything until it's beginning to soften.
Butter and Flour: Helps to thicken the sauce for the stew.
Liquids: I used beer and vegetable stock. If you'd rather not use beer then you can just add extra vegetable stock.
Herbs and Spices: Smoked paprika, dried oregano, fresh rosemary and thyme and a bay leaf all go into this stew to make it so flavourful.
Dumplings: The dumplings are a really simple mixture of butter, flour, baking powder, gruyere and water which is cooked on top of the simmering stew.
[amazon_link asins='B00LX21KVW,B00J0CEVM2,B074T2YQ6T,B016IOUPJC' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='60077f76-97fa-4204-9a3d-9f0dbcb94256']
How to make vegetarian mushroom stew
Sauté the vegetables: Heat the olive oil and fry the onion and carrot for a few minutes before adding the garlic, squash and mushrooms and frying for a little longer.
Add the liquids: Melt the butter into the vegetables then sprinkle over the flour then add the liquids, herbs and spices and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes.
Make the dumplings: Rub together the butter, baking powder and butter with your fingertips. Add the cheese and mix then form into 8 balls and drop on top of the stew and simmer for 10 minutes until the dumplings have puffed up.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00VWMG8UQ,B000EHMR82,B01N1WOWSG,B073VY4RNY,B00HEZ888K,B0007VO0CQ' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='7c1ecf73-ba6b-40e5-89e9-4bfda4677b34']
Want more? Try these other mushroom recipes!
- Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese with Mushrooms
- Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie with Mushrooms
- Mushroom Miso Soup with Soba Noodles
- Mushroom Stroganoff with Rosemary
- Coconut Noodle Soup with Mushroom & Edamame
- Veggie Pulled Pork Sandwich with Slaw
- Creamy Mushroom & Sausage Rigatoni
- 15 Minute Mushroom Tagliatelle
Mushroom Stew with Cheesy Dumplings
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and chopped
- 300 g Mushrooms chopped
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- 3 tablespoon Flour
- Salt and Pepper
- 330 ml Beer
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Fresh Parsley chopped, to serve
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 200 g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 75 g Gruyere
- 150-200 ml Water
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the carrot and onion and cook for about 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the garlic, squash and mushroom and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the mushrooms have released their liquid and reduced in size.
- Add the butter to the vegetables and stir until melted then sprinkle over the flour and stir again to coat. Leave for a minute to allow the flour to cook. Season with plenty of salt and pepper then add the beer, vegetable stock, paprika, oregano, rosemary and thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the vegetable are cooked.
- While the stew simmers put the flour, baking powder and butter in a large bowl with plenty of salt and pepper and rub the butter into the flour. Stir in the cheese. Just before the stew has finished simmering add the water to the mixture until you get a sticky dough then turn out onto a floured surface and roll into 8 balls.
- Place the dumplings on top of the stew, place a lid on and cook for 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!