This vegetarian spaghetti bolognese is an easy meat free recipe made with mushrooms and a rich tomato sauce for a super comforting and filling bowl of pasta.
This is hands down better than the meaty version 🙌
I know that sounds extreme but it’s honestly just as meaty in texture and rich in flavour thanks to the mixture of fresh and dried mushrooms and the addition of a parmesan rind during cooking (make sure you get a parmesan which uses vegetable rennet to keep it vegetarian – this technically makes it not parmesan but what are you gonna do?!).
It’s completely comforting and completely weeknight friendly which means it ticks pretty much all my boxes. Oh and there’s pasta involved of course.
Spaghetti bolognese is such a delicious classic that when we cut down on meat I knew I was going to have to perfect a vegetarian version to add to my list of regular weeknight dinners along with these veggie burgers and this vegetable curry.
Why we love this vegetarian spaghetti bolognese:
- This is a vegetarian pasta recipe which is easily made vegan by leaving out the parmesan rind
- It’s complete comfort food thanks to the rich sauce and spaghetti
- It’s also lighter than a lot of vegetarian bolognese recipes because it uses no lentils and just has mushrooms instead
- Finally, it’s so easy to make which means you can totally make it on a weeknight but it also works amazingly for meal prep
Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese with Mushrooms Ingredients:
- Onion, Carrot and Garlic: Finely chopped
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Porcini Mushrooms: Rehydrated in boiling water and chopped for an extra meaty taste
- Tomato Puree: Adds an extra richness to the sauce
- Red Wine: Or feel free to switch for vegetable stock if you prefer
- Soy Sauce: Or tamari if you’re keeping it gluten free
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Parmesan Rind: Optional but adds SO. MUCH. FLAVOUR. make sure to get parmesan which uses vegetable rennet to make sure it’s vegetarian
- Spaghetti: Or your favourite pasta to serve
[amazon_link asins=’B0074FPFSQ,B07D2226ZK,B001FB6BA6′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thecoorep-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’a0308dd6-06c6-4924-b677-1466570a59bb’]
How to make vegetarian spaghetti bolognese?
- Start the bolognese: Heat the olive oil and add the onion and carrot followed by the garlic. Cook until softened.
- Prep the mushrooms: Rehydrate the dried mushrooms in boiling water. Add the finely chopped fresh mushrooms to the onions in batches until softened. Add the thyme.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: Chop the rehydrated mushrooms and add to the pot along with the tomato puree, mushroom soaking liquid, red wine, soy sauce, chopped tomatoes and salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
[amazon_link asins=’B00VA5H8AY,B00HEZ888K,B000EHMR82,B0081K740A’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’thecoorep-21′ marketplace=’UK’ link_id=’b3ae4c28-d1ed-4c64-80d8-6a26b1a6da39′]
Expert tips for making vegetarian spaghetti bolognese
- You can use whatever mushrooms you like in this mushroom bolognese. I used chestnut which add a lovely flavour but button would also work well or you could use a mixture
- If you want to bulk out this bolognese you could add some red lentils along with the chopped tomatoes for an even more filling dish
- This bolognese recipe is gluten free so use your favourite brand of gluten free pasta if you like
- I highly recommend adding the parmesan rind to the bolognese, it adds an amazing umami flavour
- You could bulk out this recipe with extra veggies like spinach, kale or broccoli
Want more? Try these other vegetarian pasta recipes!
- Arugula Pesto Lasagne Roll Ups
- Halloumi Pasta with Tahini Dressing
- Baked Cauliflower Parmesan
- 15 Minute Mushroom Tagliatelle
- Spinach Cacio e Pepe
- Roasted Garlic Spaghetti with Kale & Ricotta
Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese with Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 10 g Dried Porcini Mushrooms
- 500 g Chestnut Mushrooms diced
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 200 ml Red Wine
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- Parmesan Rind optional
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan to serve
- Spaghetti to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and carrot and cook until softened then add the garlic and plenty of salt and pepper and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and pour over boiling water. Leave to soak. Add the chopped fresh mushrooms to the onion mixture in batches until they're all softened. Add the thyme.
- Roughly chop the wild mushrooms and add to the pot with the tomato paste and stir to coat. Pour in the mushroom soaking liquid, red wine and soy sauce, turn up the heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and more salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce is thick. Serve with spaghetti and parmesan.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!