These chicken taquitos are made of shredded spicy chicken and cheese all wrapped in a flour tortilla then oven baked until crispy. Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream and pico de gallo.
Oh how I love these chicken taquitos 😍
I’ve been obsessing over the idea of making taquitos for so long. They just look so yummy and the idea of that crispy outer tortillas with the soft and cheesy filling is pretty much an unbeatable combination.
I love these served with plenty of super fresh sides to cut through the cheesy spiciness so I went with homemade pico de gallo (you could also buy ready made salsa), sour cream and some crisp shredded lettuce.
Why we love these baked chicken taquitos…
They’re so easy to make which means they’re perfect for a weeknight especially when you have a lot of hungry mouths to feed
They can also be prepped ahead of time and popped in the oven just before serving which makes them even more amazing in my opinion
I love that they’re the perfect use for leftover chicken so grab those roast chicken leftovers and whip up a batch of these
What ingredients do you need to make taquitos?
Tortilla Wraps: I use mini flour tortillas for these and they come out perfectly crispy but you could also use corn tortillas if you prefer and I gather that might be more traditionally Mexican (also known as flautas). I would definitely recommend using the little ones otherwise you’ll need to adjust the serving amount
Cooked Chicken: I love to use up leftover chicken in these but if you want to make them from scratch you need two breasts worth of chicken which you can roast or cook in the pressure cooker
Chipotle Paste: Adjust the quantity depending on how spicy you like it
Cheese: I go for a simple cheddar in these because it’s what we always keep on hand
Sides: I like these taquitos served with homemade pico de gallo (recipe included below), sour cream and shredded lettuce
How to make taquitos?
Make pico de gallo: Toss all of the pico ingredients together then season well with salt and set aside until ready to serve.
Mix together the filling: Put the chicken and chipotle paste in a large bowl and mix well then place 3 tablespoonfuls at the bottom of each tortilla, add cheese then roll tightly and secure with a toothpick.
Bake: Place the rolled tortillas on a baking sheet, brush with oil and put in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Want more? Try these other Mexican inspired recipes!
- Fiesta Chicken and Rice
- Easy Mixed Bean Chilli with Roasted Red Peppers
- Carne Asada Tacos
- Vegan Breakfast Tacos with Black Beans
- Mexican Cabbage Slaw
- Vegetarian Quesadilla with Chipotle Aubergine
Taquitos with Spicy Chicken & Cheese
- 2 Chicken Breasts cooked and shredded
- 2 tbsp Chipotle Paste
- 200 g Cheddar Cheese grated
- 10 Small Tortillas
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Sour Cream to serve
- Shredded Lettuce to serve
Pico de Gallo
- 8 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Chilli chopped
- 1/2 Onion chopped
- Small bunch Coriander chopped
- 1 Lime juiced
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oven to 220°C/425°F. To make the pico mix everything together in a bowl and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Mix the chicken with the chipotle paste. Add 3 tbsp to the bottom third of a tortilla, add a sprinkling of cheese then roll up tightly and secure with a cocktail stick. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Place the rolled taquitos on a lined baking sheet and brush with oil. Bake for 15 minutes until golden and crisp. Serve with toppings of choice.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!