Beef vegetable soup with dumplings is super comforting & the perfect recipe for a Sunday treat. It’s flavoured with rosemary & hearty from the potatoes.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Is there any better comfort food than soup with dumplings? It’s literally just warm and stodge and cuddle in food form. I love it.
I’ve added a slightly lighter dumpling (without the suet) to vegetable soup but you could definitely take this dumpling recipe and add it to something like this chicken and vegetable soup for even more indulgence.
But if you really want something that’s going to warm you right through then keep scrolling to get this beef vegetable soup with dumplings.
So the clocks went forwards yesterday and when I got home from work today it was light for the first time since last year. It was amazing.
I am a spring and summer lover. I’m usually cold so the winter is normally pretty miserable for me and I love how much better my mood is in the summer just by virtue of the sun being out. Everything just looks so amazing in the sunshine.
So this is my last wintery recipe before it’s all salads and barbecues and the like. Maybe. Let’s be real here there will probably still be a big helping of polenta and various other comfort foods because I just love them.
Also it’s hardly like British summers are so luxuriously hot that you can’t have a big old bowl of comfort food every once in a while.
Ingredients you need to make this beef vegetable soup with dumplings:
- Vegetable Oil
- Stewing Beef Chunks
- Red Wine
- Beef Stock
- Bay Leaf
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for this beef vegetable soup with dumplings…
So this soup then. It starts off by frying off the beef chunks until browned on all sides and starting to get all charred and crispy.
Then you’ll remove that from the pot and add in the vegetables to soften before pouring in the wine and beef stock, adding the beef again and cooking everything for an hour and a half until the beef is super tender and delicious.
A bit before the end of cooking just pop some dumplings on top and you’ve got a delicious beef vegetable soup with dumplings ready to go!
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP WITH DUMPLINGS?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Beef Vegetable Soup with Dumplings
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 400 g Stewing Beef Chunks
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 200 ml Red Wine
- 1.7 litres Beef Stock
- 1 sprig Rosemary
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 125 g Plain Flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch Salt
- 60 g Suet
- Water to make a dough
- Heat the vegetable oil in a soup pot on a high heat until beginning to smoke. Add the beef and fry until browned on all sides. Use a slotted spoon to remove the beef from the pot. Add the onion, carrot and garlic and fry for about 5 minutes until softened and beginning to brown.
- Remove the vegetables from the pot. Pour in the stock and the wine and bring to a boil. Return the beef and vegetables to the pot and simmer for an hour. Then add the potatoes and simmer for another ten minutes before adding the dumplings.
- For the dumplings, sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add the suet and enough water to form a thick dough. With floured hands, roll spoonfuls of the dough into small balls.
- Drop the dumplings on top of the soup and cover the pot. Simmer for another 20 minutes until cooked through. Serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: £8.64