Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
Will and I are basically always on a mission to eat better. Although we tend to make healthy meals, we pretty much suck at portion control and I’m terrible at resisting any extra snacks or treats that are floating around the office/flat. So because of this we’ve been making a few salads for dinner in an attempt to combat bad habits and also pretend that summer has arrived. This Cauliflower, Roasted Pepper & Chick Pea Salad was definitely a salad highlight last week!
Seriously, what is with the weather in this country? It was legitimately hailing two days ago. In April. It’s breaking my heart. At least I have bright, healthy foods to bring some summer feeling into my life.
I’ve never been much of a fan of cauliflower but roasted like this it gets all charred and tasty. Plus it’s pretty filling, especially with chick peas thrown into the mix. Which brings me onto the chick peas. Harissa chick peas to be exact. They’re super simple, just mixed with some fried onions, tomato puree and harissa paste.
The whole salad can be thrown together in less than 40 minutes and is perfect as a weeknight meal with no added extras.
Cauliflower, Roasted Pepper & Chick Pea Salad
For the Roasted Cauliflower and Peppers
- 1 head of Cauliflower chopped
- 1 Red Pepper sliced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 bulb Garlic sliced in half
For the Harissa Chick Peas
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 400g tin Chick Peas
- 1 1/2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Harissa Paste
- Squeeze of Lime Juice
- 50 g Walnuts chopped
- 4 tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- 50 g Baby Leaf Spinach
- Place the chopped cauliflower, red pepper, crushed garlic and sliced garlic bulb on a baking tray drizzled with the olive oil and some salt and pepper. Place in the oven at 180°C for 20-30 minutes until the cauliflower is charred around the edges.
- While the cauliflower and peppers are cooking heat the vegetable oil over a medium heat and fry the onion gently for 10 minutes with some salt and pepper. Add the chick peas then fill the tin halfway up with water and add that to the pan too. Stir in the tomato puree and harissa paste and allow to cook until most of the water has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add a squeeze of lime juice at the end of cooking.
- When the cauliflower and chick peas are cooked assemble your salad by placing the cauliflower and peppers on the bottom of a serving dish. Add the spinach then dollop spoonfuls of the chick peas and yoghurt over the top. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skins and sprinkle over the top with the walnuts. Serve.