Jackfruit tacos are an easy Mexican inspired dinner made using canned jackfruit and a spicy chipotle sauce. Serve these vegan pulled pork style tacos for a simple weeknight meal.
I am allll about these veggie tacos 😍
Spicy Jackfruit Tacos
Jackfruit has become a bit of an obsession for Will since we first tried it for these pulled jackfruit sandwiches. It's so good at taking on flavour that I knew straight away that I wanted to try it with some classic Mexican spices.
This taco filling is spiced with cumin, chilli powder, smoked paprika and chipotle paste for a super flavourful and slightly spicy mixture which tastes incredible served with all your favourite taco toppings.
I went with sour cream (although you can leave it off to keep them vegan), fresh coriander leaves and my favourite pink pickled onions which add the most perfect tang to everything. You can find the recipe for those in this tofu sandwich post.
Why we love these vegan tacos with jackfruit
They're suitable for vegans which makes them a delicious plant based meal perfect for any occasion.
You can make them as spicy or mild as you like by adjusting the quantities of the spices in the recipe.
If you want to make this recipe gluten free you could use corn tortillas or serve the filling as a burrito bowl with your favourite grain.
This is such an easy recipe which involves a lot of hands off time so you can prep whatever toppings you like or just sit back with a glass of wine.
Pulled Jackfruit Tacos Ingredients
Onion and Garlic
Jackfruit: I used canned jackfruit which is drained and then broken into pieces
Spices: Cumin, chilli powder, smoked paprika and chipotle paste
Liquids: Vegetable stock and chopped tomatoes go into this jackfruit
Tortilla Wraps: I like flour tortillas but you can use corn if you prefer
Taco Toppings: Sour cream, salsa, coriander, pickled onions....whatever you like!
[amazon_link asins='B009GE2F1I,B00AYY1PKQ,B00U9UHS8I,B005EG1TVE' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='858a5363-b9d1-4b03-b1eb-cecc7999b91b']
Spicy Pulled Jackfruit Instructions
Start the jackfruit: Heat the oil and add the onion and garlic then fry and add the jackfruit and spices. Cook until softened and fragrant then add the liquids and simmer.
Bake the jackfruit: Spread the jackfruit on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes until crispy round the edges.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
[amazon_link asins='B00SHJN61Q,B008OW4FI4,B07BG6ZPZD' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='4eed3bb8-a431-4e73-9fad-3e232cd99b6a']
Want more? Try these other vegan recipes!
- Greek Pasta Bowl with Tofu Feta
- Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches with Avocado Sauce
- Vegan Grilled Cheese with Jackfruit
- Cauliflower Lentil Curry with Spinach
- Golden Lentils and Rice
- Smoky Bean Stew with Kale
- Tofu Curry with Cashew Coconut Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 2 400g tins Jackfruit drained
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 2 tablespoon Chipotle Paste
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 8 Small Wraps
- Taco Toppings of your choice, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Heat the oil in a pot over a medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Break up any bigger pieces of jackfruit and add to the onion with the spices and chipotle paste and stir to coat.
- Add the vegetable stock and tomatoes and bring to a simmer, cook until the jackfruit has broken down, about 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and spread the jackfruit on it. Put in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve in warmed tortillas with toppings of your choice.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!