These BBQ pulled jackfruit sandwiches are an amazing vegan alternative to meat! They’re so easy to make and the filling can be used for tacos, in wraps, on nachos or even pizza.
I’m officially jumping on the jackfruit waggon!
It took a while but now we’ve tried it we can’t get enough! For my first jackfruit recipe I wanted to go back to basics and serve it in a sandwich.
I was pretty sceptical about it really being anything like pulled pork but I was willing to give it a try because I am always keen to reduce our meat consumption any way I can.
The main thing I’ve realised is that you need to cook the jackfruit for a pretty long time for it to really break down and get a texture close to pulled pork. Once that’s done it needs to go in the oven for a bit to get a little crispy and then you’re good to go.
Why we love these pulled jackfruit sandwiches
They’re vegan and easy to make gluten free which makes them perfect for pretty much everyone!
The jackfruit filling is great for meal prep and I’d recommend making a big batch to keep in the fridge for use in sandwiches, wraps, on salads or in tacos throughout the week.
They’re so easy to make and the jackfruit is totally not intimidating to cook with once you’ve given it a go.
Finally, they totally do an incredible job mimicking pulled pork sandwiches which is pretty amazing if you think about it.
Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches Ingredients
Onion and Garlic: Finely chopped
Jackfruit: Out of a tin, drained and lightly chopped
Spices: Cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, oregano and chipotle paste all go into this jackfruit to make it so flavourful and delicious
BBQ Sauce: Make sure you get a vegan one
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £13.99
- Price: £5.78
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: £14.49
How to make pulled jackfruit sandwiches
- Start by frying the jackfruit: Heat a drizzle of oil and fry the onion and garlic then add the jackfruit and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the liquids: Add the spices then pour in the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add a tablespoon of BBQ sauce.
- Put in the oven: Spread the jackfruit on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 15 minutes. Add the rest of the BBQ sauce, turn the heat up and cook for another 15 minutes. Serve in sandwiches.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £29.99Was: £30.86
- Price: £6.99Was: £8.75
- Price: Out of stock
Expert tips for making these pulled jackfruit sandwiches
I would highly recommend doubling or tripling this recipe so that you can store it in the fridge for easy dinners or lunches throughout the week
To make this recipe gluten free simply use your favourite brand of gluten free rolls
I used canned jackfruit to make this recipe, just make sure you get jackfruit in brine or water. I was able to get it at my local supermarket
Want more? Try these other vegan recipes!
- Tahini Pad Thai
- Easy Mixed Bean Chilli with Roasted Red Peppers
- Easy Detox Salad
- Mushroom Burger with Pearl Barley
- Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Cauliflower Salad with Hummus
Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches with BBQ Sauce
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Heat a drizzle of oil in a saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Fry until soft then add the jackfruit and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and season well with salt and pepper. Pour in the tomatoes and stock, turn up the heat and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. Stir in 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce.
- Spread the jackfruit out on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 15 minutes. Add the rest of the BBQ sauce and turn the heat up to 225°C/440°F. Cook the jackfruit for another 15 minutes then serve in sandwiches.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!