Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This parmesan breaded fish is coated in panko and oven baked then served with a pesto yoghurt dip for a quick and healthy dinner that’s easy enough for a weeknight but impressive enough to serve to guests.
Since we’ve been trying to reduce our meat consumption we’ve been adding a bit more fish into our diet and have been making some really easy and healthy fish recipes like this baked mackerel with salad and flatbreads and super quick salmon tacos.
I’m actually a huge fish lover and really love how quick it is to cook. It’s also so good for you and tastes amazing in so many different cuisines and dishes so I’m always happy to work it into our weekly cooking.
For this recipe I wanted to go really simple. Breaded fish is a much loved classic so it seemed like a great option for a simple dinner. Breaded fish fillets are normally fried but I’m definitely not up for deep frying when I’m trying to get a quick dinner on the table so I went for baking instead.
This gives you time to crack open a bottle of wine, toss some salad leaves with a dressing and whisk together the yoghurt and pesto to make a delicious dip for the fish.
The panko is mixed with plenty of garlic and parsley before quickly dredging the fish through it and then baking for 15 minutes.
I wanted to keep this meal really simple and so served it with some salad leaves but if you wanted to bulk it out a bit more then you could go classic with some chips or add a few extra vegetables.
Oh, also, I had the fish in a sandwich the next day and it was excellent. A breaded fish sandwich is where it’s at.
Parmesan Breaded Fish with Pesto Yoghurt Dip Ingredients:
- Cod Fillets: Or you could use any white fish fillets you like
- Panko: You can buy this in most supermarkets, it’s normally in the Asian food section. If you can’t find them then you could use normal bread crumbs although the fish won’t be as crunchy
- Parsley: Use plenty of fresh parsley to add a nice freshness
- Garlic: The more the better!
- Parmesan: Grating parmesan into the panko adds so much flavour to the fish
- Flour and Egg: To get your fish dredge on
- Pesto: To make this recipe super easy just grab a jar of the ready made stuff but if you want to go all out then feel free to make your own!
- Yoghurt: I prefer full fat to make it a good dipping texture
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Parmesan Breaded Fish with Pesto Yoghurt Dip Instructions:
- Bread the fish: Heat the oven to 180°C. Mix the panko with parsley, garlic and parmesan. Add flour and egg into separate bowls. Dredge each cod fillet in the flour, then egg then panko mixture and bake for 15 minutes.
- Make the dip: Mix the pesto and yoghurt together. Serve the fish with the dip and fresh salad leaves.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Price: £6.99Was: £9.45
Price: £13.25Was: £14.99
Price: £8.99Was: £9.95
Recipe Variation Ideas:
- Use chicken instead: If you prefer you could try making this recipe with pounded chicken breasts. Simply follow the method and adjust the cooking times accordingly
- Don’t use egg: If you’re avoiding egg then you can try breading fish without egg but whisking together 2 tablespoons of milk and 2 tablespoons of oil and then using it to dredge the fish
Is breaded fish healthy?
The great thing about this baked breaded fish recipe is that there’s no frying involved which keeps it on the healthy side, especially when it’s served with a big green salad!
Want more? Try these other fish recipes!
- Cajun Salmon Pasta
- One Pot Fish Stew with White Beans
- Smoky Fish Pie
- Oven Cooked Salmon with Tomato & Garlic Sauce
- Tilapia Fish Tacos
- 15 Minute Salmon Burgers with Garlic Yoghurt
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS PARMESAN BREADED FISH WITH PESTO YOGHURT DIP?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
This easy appetiser is a great way to use up leftover pesto
Sprinkle panko over this aubergine parmigiana before baking
Parmesan Breaded Fish with Pesto Yoghurt Dip
- 4 Cod Fillets
- 100 g Panko Breadcrumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 30 g Parmesan grated
- Plain Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Pesto
- 4 tbsp Yoghurt
- Heat oven to 180°C/350°F. Mix the panko, parsley, garlic and parmesan together in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle a little flour onto a plate. Beat the egg in another bowl. Coat a cod fillet in the flour, dip into the egg then coat in the panko mixture and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the other fillets. Put the fish in the oven for about 15 minutes until cooked through and flakey.
- Mix the pesto and yoghurt together and serve with the fish.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!