This vegan pearl barley stew with beans and kale is packed with goodness! Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and a drizzle of chilli oil for a filling and tasty meal.
Store cupboard comfort food!
Grab a bowl of this stew and curl up on the sofa. That's really all you should be doing on a weeknight in this crazy moment in time.
This stew is packed with flavour and is super filling thanks to the beans and pearl barley plus the kale adds a hearty crunch. I like to serve mine topped with a scoop of Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of chilli oil.
Will made roti to serve with this and it was the perfect addition thanks to the slight curry flavour in the stew. Scooping up mouthfuls of the stew in pieces of roti is the dream situation.
Why we love this bean & pearl barley stew...
This is a delicious vegan recipe which is super filling and delicious with so much flavour that you'll never miss the meat!
It's also so healthy thanks to the beans, barley and kale which gives you loads of much needed goodness.
You can add whatever you like to this stew or switch out the ingredients if you need to. If you can't get kale then try spinach instead. You can also use any beans you like or throw in extra veg.
This recipe is also super easy to make and can easily be made on a busy weeknight.
Pearl Barley & Bean Stew Ingredients
Oil, Garlic, Onion: What good recipes start without these three really? Fry your garlic and onion in oil until softened and you're onto a winner, guaranteed.
Green Chilli: You can switch this for red if you prefer or leave it out if you want to avoid spice.
White Beans: You can use dried or tinned beans for this. I went for two tins of beans, use whatever type you prefer.
Spices: I used a mix of cumin, curry powder and bay leaves to give this recipe so much flavour.
Vegetable Stock: Homemade, store bought, cubes, pots - whatever you've got!
Kale: Chopped and stems removed.
How to make vegan barley stew with beans
Fry the aromatics: Heat the oil in a large pot then fry the onion until soft. Add the garlic and chilli and continue to cook for a few more minutes then add the spices.
Add the beans and barley: Add the beans and barley and stir to coat in the spices then pour in the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes-1 hour until the barley is cooked.
Finish and serve: Stir through the kale and allow to wilt then serve topped with yoghurt and chilli oil.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
Want more? Try these other vegan recipes!
- Stir Fried Aubergine with Chilli
- Potato Curry with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Vegetarian Thai Green Curry
- Hearty Quinoa Chilli with Beans
- Spicy Lentil Soup with Coconut
- Vegan Egg Fried Rice
Bean & Pearl Barley Stew with Kale
- 2 Onions
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 400g tins White Beans drained and rinsed
- 70 g Pearl Barley
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 litre Vegetable Stock
- 200 g Kale stems removed and leaves chopped
- Greek Yoghurt and Chilli Oil to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat. Fry the onion for a couple of minutes then add the chilli and garlic and continue to cook for a couple more minutes.
- Add the spices and stir into the onion. Add the beans and pearl barley and stir to coat in the spices then add the stock.
- Bring to simmer and cook for 45 minutes - 1 hour until the barley is cooked. Add the kale and plenty of salt and pepper. Serve topped with yoghurt and chilli oil.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!