This spicy stir fried aubergine is made with a sticky soy sauce glaze and thinly sliced onion and chilli. The aubergine is cooked until super tender and served over rice.
This vegetarian dish is one of my new faves!
I’ve been wanting to share this aubergine stir fry recipe for so long. We’ve made it so many times and something always gets in the way of me photographing it. Probably the fact that we can’t bear to wait to eat it.
It’s just that good.
You start by soaking the aubergine in salted water to make sure it gets really soft when cooked. Then you fry it with onion and chilli until everything is super tender.
Then it’s all coated in that slightly sticky, slightly umami sauce and bubbled for a few minutes until the sauce has had time to cook down and really coat all the vegetables. Then you can serve it with whatever you like!
Why we love this stir fried aubergine…
It’s a vegan recipe which is packed with so much flavour that even meat eaters will love it!
This recipe is quick and easy to make with mostly pantry ingredients which makes it great for a busy weeknight or when you can’t get to the shops.
If you want to make this with a different vegetable you could use the sauce and method with anything else you have on hand which makes it the perfect back pocket stir fry recipe.
This recipe is also gluten free and dairy free so it’s perfect for serving to everyone!
Aubergine Stir Fry Ingredients
Aubergine: This is chopped then soaked in salted water for half an hour. This helps it to get really soft when you fry it.
Onion & Chilli: These are stir fried with the aubergine for some extra texture and spice.
Stir Fry Sauce: This is a simple mixture of light and dark soy sauce, tomato puree, balsamic vinegar, golden caster sugar and cornflour for a sweet and sticky sauce full of umami flavour.
Stick Aubergine Instructions
Soak the aubergine: Peel and cut the aubergine into batons then soak in salted water for 30 minutes.
Stir fry the vegetables: Fry the aubergine until browned on all sides then add the onion and chilli and cook for another few minutes.
Finish cooking: Pour in the sauce then cover and leave to cook for another few minutes until the sauce is sticky.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Want more? Try these other vegan recipes!
- Potato Curry with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Vegetarian Thai Green Curry
- Hearty Quinoa Chilli with Beans
- Spicy Lentil Soup with Coconut
- Peanut Curry with Tofu & Broccoli
- Jackfruit Tacos
- Brussel Sprout, Red Cabbage & Hazelnut Slaw
Stir Fried Aubergine with Chilli
- 2 Aubergines peeled and cut into batons
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 Red Chilli thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Golden Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- Put the aubergine in a bowl of salted water and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients.
- Heat the oil in a large wok and add the aubergine, fry until browned on all sides then add the onion and chilli and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the sauce then cover with a lid and cook for another few minutes. Serve with rice.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!