Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This easy vegetarian sausage pasta bake is so cheesy and comforting. With a rich tomato sauce, your favourite brand of vegetarian sausages and plenty of mozzarella.
This pasta bake is such wonderful comfort food.
Are we still allowed to be eating comfort food in April? I’m saying yes because after a faint glimmer of hope last weekend when I went out without a jacket (!) the weather here has dropped back down to miserable temperatures with no let up in sight.
So we’re still going with comfort food until further notice.
Since cutting back on meat we’ve been trying more and more dishes with vegetarian sausages replacing what would normally take up the meat portion of the dish.
Why we love this vegetarian sausage pasta bake:
- Stating the obvious but it’s vegetarian which means we can eat it during the week when we’re avoiding meat and it’s just as filling and satisfying as the meaty alternative
- It’s filling and comforting perfect for cold weather dinners but also great for a hearty family meal which everyone is guaranteed to love
- This pasta bake is also so easy to make so it’s great for a busy weeknight while still delivering big on flavour
- Finally if you’re really missing the meat then you could totally switch the veggie ones out for a meat sausage super easily
Vegetarian Sausage Pasta Bake Ingredients:
All you need to create this simple pasta bake is:
- Vegetarian Sausages: Use whatever brand you prefer, I went with the Linda McCartney Red Onion and Rosemary ones
- Onion and Garlic
- Chopped Tomatoes: I use two tins because I like this pasta bake to be super saucy
- Tomato Puree: For that extra hit of tomato flavour
- Dried Herbs: I use oregano and thyme
- Vegetable Stock: Store bought or homemade
- Pasta: I used fusilli but use whatever short cut you prefer
- Cheddar: Grated for topping
- Mozzarella: Torn over the top of the pasta
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Vegetarian Sausage Pasta Bake Instructions:
To make this pasta bake all you need to do is:
- Cook the sausages and pasta: Cook the sausages according to packet instructions and put water on to boil the pasta
- Make the sauce: Heat the olive oil, fry the onion then the garlic and the herbs. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and simmer until thickened.
- Make the pasta bake: Put the pasta, sauce and sausages in a baking dish, mix then top with the cheese and bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is browned.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £22.00Was: £29.00
- Price: £22.99Was: £44.99
- Price: £8.97Was: £9.95
Expert tips for making this vegetarian sausage pasta bake:
- To make the cooking process efficient make sure you start off by cooking the sausages and the pasta before starting the sauce. It involves a bit of multi tasking but it makes the whole dinner come together as quickly as possible
- Feel free to mix up what herbs you want to add to your sauce if you don’t have oregano or thyme
- This pasta bake works great as a base recipe which you can add whatever vegetables you like to if you want to up the veg content
Want more? Try these other pasta recipes!
- Super Simple Tuna Orzo Salad
- 15 Minute Tuna Pasta with Pangrattato
- Garlic Tagliatelle with Mushrooms and Asparagus
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta Bake
- Lemony Spring Pasta Salad
- Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
Vegetarian Sausage Pasta Bake
- 6 Vegetarian Sausages
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 400g tins Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 100 ml Vegetable Stock
- 500 g Pasta
- 60 g Cheddar grated
- 125 g Mozzarella torn
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Cook the vegetarian sausages according to packet instructions. Slice and set aside. Put water on to boil for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat and add the onion, cook until softened then add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the oregano, thyme and chopped tomatoes and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and place in a baking dish with the vegetarian sausages, mix. Pour over the tomato sauce and mix again, sprinkle over the cheddar and mozzarella. Place in the oven and cook until the cheese is melted and browned, about 15 minutes.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!