This baked falafel burger is a healthy vegan recipe made with chickpeas and spices and served with a spicy chipotle mayo sauce. Plus they’re so easy to make!
Healthy and so easy….I am in love with these falafel burgers!
I’ve been meaning to try making falafel burgers for so long. Ever since I first tried making falafel from scratch I knew that it would taste amazing in a burger mainly because there are very few things that don’t taste better sandwiched between two slices of bread.
This recipe is really very similar to my herby baked falafel but it’s slightly firmer which makes it perfect to serve in burger buns like I have here.
In terms of toppings I went with a super simple chipotle mayo (use vegan mayo if needed), rocket and more of my super quick pickled red onions which I’ve used on pretty much everything I’ve eaten recently. If you want to make your own batch then find the original recipe is this spicy tofu sandwich post.
Why we love this baked falafel burger recipe:
- First off, they’re vegan which is great for avoiding meat and dairy. Just make sure you use vegan mayo in the chipotle mayo
- It’s also a great healthy dinner which has so much flavour thanks to the herbs and spices in the mixture
- It’s also surprisingly quick to make you just need to whiz some things up in a blender, shape the patties and bake them
- Finally, this recipe is pretty versatile so if you want to try different combinations of spices or different toppings or sauces then go for it!
What is a falafel burger made of?
Although falafel often has chickpea flour in it these burgers just use blended cooked chickpeas along with a mixture of sesame seeds, garlic, red onion, coriander, plain flour and plenty of spices.
Baked Falafel Burger with Chipotle Mayo Ingredients:
- Chickpeas: I use the tinned ones because I never have the foresight to soak dried ones
- Sesame Seeds: This helps to give an extra nutty flavour to the burgers
- Garlic: The more the better in my opinion
- Red Onion: Gets blended up into the mix for the burgers
- Coriander (Cilantro): To give that extra herby flavour
- Plain Flour: To bind the burgers
- Spices: Cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper
Products from Amazon.co.uk
How to make falafel burgers:
- Blend the burger ingredients: Put the chickpeas and sesame seeds in a food processor until it’s a paste then add the garlic, red onion and coriander and blend until mixed.
- Make the burgers and mayo: Tip the mixture into a bowl and add the flour and spices and mix then shape into 8 patties. Mix the mayo and chipotle paste.
- Bake and serve: Put the burgers in the oven then once they’re cooked serve with your choice of toppings.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Are falafel burgers healthy?
These burgers are a great healthy dinner option. They’re made with chickpeas which are a great source of protein and they’re baked rather than fried to cut down on any extra oil. I also like mine served with extra greens and pickled red onions for extra goodness.
How to serve falafel burgers?
I like mine served in brioche buns with plenty of that chipotle mayo smeared on top but you could also serve them in lettuce wraps if you like something a but lighter.
Are falafel burgers vegan?
The falafel burger itself is vegan and you can easily switch the regular mayo for vegan mayo to make the whole recipe suitable for vegans.
What to serve with falafel burgers?
As listed below, I build my falafel burgers with some fresh greens like rocket and a hint of tangy sweetness from the pink pickled onions followed by a smear of chipotle mayo. On the side I like to serve them with potato wedges and plenty of that extra mayo.
Is falafel served hot or cold?
Falafel works great hot or cold. I served this burger hot for dinner but then it worked amazingly cold for lunch the next day.
Expert tips for make this baked falafel burger recipe:
Depending on the size of your blender you might need to make the mixture in batches. I needed to do two batches because my blender is quite small
This recipe makes 8 burgers so it’s great for meal prep and you can store the leftover burgers in the fridge, just wrap them up and they’ll store up to a week
If you want to reheat the burgers then you can do it in the microwave or pop them in the oven for a few minutes
These burgers can also be frozen and when you want to eat them just defrost thoroughly then eat cold or reheated
I like these burgers served in brioche buns but if you want something lighter then these are great in a lettuce wrap or on a salad
To make these burgers super quick I use tinned chickpeas but if you prefer then you can use dried chickpeas, just make sure to soak them the night before you need them
The chipotle mayo can be made with vegan mayo if you prefer. The recipe calls for 1-2 teaspoons of chipotle paste so adjust the amount according to how spicy you like things
To make these burgers gluten free then switch the plain flour for your preferred gluten free flour
If you can’t find chipotle paste at the shops then you can order it on amazon, this is the one we use
Want more? Try these other burger recipes!
- Easy Black Bean Burgers
- The Best Veggie Burgers with Sun Dried Tomato Mayo
- Crispy Fish Burger
- Beetroot Burgers with Whipped Feta
- Smoky Eggplant Bean Burger
- 15 Minute Salmon Burgers with Garlic Yoghurt
- Mushroom Burger with Pearl Barley
Baked Falafel Burger with Chipotle Mayo
- 2 400g tins Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 6 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Red Onion chopped into chunks
- 70 g Coriander
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 4 tsp Cumin
- 4 tsp Coriander
- Pinch Cayenne
- Salt and Pepper
- Pickled Red Onions to serve
- Rocket or other green to serve
- Burger Buns
For the Chipotle Mayo
- 4 tbsp Mayo use vegan if needed
- 1-2 tsp Chipotle Paste
- Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Put the chickpeas into a blender with the sesame seeds and blend until you have a paste then add the garlic, red onion and coriander and blend again until everything is chopped. Tip out into a large bowl.
- Add the flour and spices and season well then mix before shaping into 8 patties. Place the burgers onto a lined baking sheet and put in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Mix the mayo and chipotle paste together adjusting the amount of paste according to how spicy you like it. Spread the mayo on the burger buns, top with a falafel burger, rocket and pickled onions if you like.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!