This lightly spiced oven baked fish is coated in ras el hanout and cooked until flakey. It’s served with a light and fresh cucumber and shallot salad for an easy and delicious summer meal!
This is my dream summer dinner 🐟
I love easy fish dishes like this. Fish cooks so quickly but still manages to be super impressive so you can definitely serve this recipe for guests (whenever you’re allowed to have them again!) as well as for an easy weeknight family dinner.
I used ras el hanout to coat the fish which is one of favourite spices. It’s a Moroccan spice blend and the name translates as ‘head of shop’ which refers to the expensive spices normally included in it.
If you don’t have ras el hanout this recipe would work with another spice blend of your choosing or you could throw together your own mixture of spices commonly used in ras el hanout including cardamom, cumin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, dry ginger, chili peppers, coriander seed, peppercorn, sweet and hot paprika, fenugreek, and dry turmeric.
Why we love this baked fish…
It’s such a quick and easy recipe to throw together which you can easily serve on a weeknight with your choice of side and a cold glass of white wine.
It’s also impressive enough to serve to guests while taking the stress out of entertaining and giving you more time to hang out with your company.
You can use whatever spices you like on the fish whether that’s just one, a mixture you make yourself o a blend you buy ready prepared.
It’s a healthy recipe especially when it’s served with the light and zesty cucumber salad on the side.
Spiced Fish Ingredients
Firm white fish: I used hake because we got it on offer but cod, halibut or tilapia would all work well.
Spice mixture: The fish is coated in ras el hanout, crushed garlic and olive oil before baking then finished with a sprinkling of lemon zest after cooking.
Cucumber salad: Sliced cucumber, lemon juice, sliced shallot and coriander are all tossed together with a pinch of salt and served on the side of the fish.
How to make roasted fish with cucumber salad
Prep the fish: Mix the garlic, ras el hanout and olive oil together. Put the fish on a foil lined baking sheet and coat in the spice mixture. Sprinkle with salt.
Roast the fish: Bake the fish for 8-10 minutes until flakey. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with lemon zest.
Make the cucumber salad: Toss together the sliced cucumber, shallot, lemon juice and chopped coriander with flakey sea salt and serve with the fish.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Want more? Try these other fish recipes!
- Baked Cod with Potatoes & Chickpeas
- Smoked Salmon Pasta with Asparagus
- Honey Soy Salmon with Noodles & Pickled Cucumber
- Tuna Burgers with Smoked Paprika Mayo
- Tuna Salad with Garlic Toasts
- Harissa Roasted Salmon with Potatoes
- Salt Baked Branzino
Spiced Baked Fish with Cucumber Salad
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1 tsp Ras-el-Hanout
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 fillets Hake or other firm white fish
- 1/2 Lemon zest grated, juice squeezed
- 1/2 Cucumber sliced
- 1 Shallot thinly sliced
- Small Bunch Coriander chopped
- Heat oven to 220°C/435°F. Mix garlic, ras-el-hanout and olive oil in a small bowl. Line a baking sheet with foil and rub the fish fillets with the spiced oil and place on the baking sheet. Season with salt. Place skin side up and bake for 8-10 minutes until fish is tender. Sprinkle the lemon zest over the fillets when you remove them from the oven.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a bowl and add the cucumber, shallot and coriander. Season with salt and combine.
- Serve the fish with the cucumber on the side.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!