These cheesy baked meatball sandwiches are the perfect thing to feed a crowd! Serve for a party or just as a weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
We love making meatball dishes, they’re a perfect base for so many different flavours, pretty cheap to make and usually easy too. One of our other favourite meatball recipes are these Moroccan meatball flatbreads, they’re super delicious and feel really indulgent while still being pretty healthy. These cheesy meatball sandwiches on the other hand? Not so healthy but perfect for a weekend dinner when you deserve to treat yourself 💕
Just look at that big old sandwich of goodness. I basically love all food but these meatballs are really something special.
There is just something unbelievably delicious about baked, melty cheese. Look at those crispy little bits on the meatballs…just perfect.
Ingredients you need to make cheesy baked meatball sandwiches:
- Olive Oil
- Passata (or tomato puree)
- Dried Oregano
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Chilli Flakes
- Bread Rolls
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for these cheesy baked meatball sandwiches…
Sandwiches are definitely a top food group for me. They’re just so varied, you can pretty much put anything in them you like, they can be hot or cold, so many types of bread.
Ah, I just love them. I remember one of our first tasks in cooking at school was designing our own sandwich and even back then the choice was just overwhelming!
So this here cheesy baked meatball sandwich you’ve got a combination of absolutely awesome ingredients. Now I’m going to let you in on a little secret. We used ready made meatballs for this dinner.
Sometimes when we do our online food shop they have all these deals and we ended up including a pack of ready made meatballs in a 3 for £10 order. You could obviously make your own meatballs (here’s an awesome guide to making your own from scratch) or buy ready made ones, whatever you fancy!
Then you make a really easy tomato sauce which cooks for 20-30 minutes in the pan before pouring over the meatballs and topping with a good helping of mozzarella and parmesan.
Bake until everything is melted and then you just serve the whole lot squashed between bread rolls with a sprig of basil and a drizzle of truffle oil if you’re feeling really indulgent. Oooooh yeahhh, cheesy baked meatball sandwiches for life.
Want more yummy sandwich recipes? Get them here!
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THESE CHEESY BAKED MEATBALL SANDWICHES?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Cheesy Baked Meatball Sandwiches
- 12 Meatballs (use whatever meat you like, we used pork)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped
- 700g Passata
- 6 sprigs Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Pinch Chilli Flakes (use more if you like it spicy!)
- 1/2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 ball Mozzarella sliced
- 50 g Parmesan grated
- 4 Bread Rolls
- Truffle Oil
- Extra Parmesan to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Start off by browning your meatballs in a drizzle of olive oil until they're golden and a little crispy on all sides. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan heat another drizzle of olive oil and add your onion, fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Pour in the passata followed by the thyme, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, chilli flakes, tomato puree and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the sauce is thickened and is really unctuous.
- Place the meatballs in a heatproof dish and pour over the sauce. Cover the meatballs with the mozzarella and parmesan and place in the oven for 15 minutes until the cheese is all melty and the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve the meatballs in bread rolls with a drizzle of truffle oil and extra parmesan.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…