Chicken and potatoes are roasted together with sweet potatoes and halved shallots until browned and crispy then topped with fresh herbs and crumbled feta for an easy weeknight meal.
Is there anything better than perfectly roasted chicken and potatoes? 😎
After eating this recipe I’m pretty sure the answer is no. The chicken is marinated in lemon juice, olive oil and garlic and the smell of it cooking is just incredible!
I like using both normal potatoes and sweet potatoes for this recipe but it would work fine with just normal potatoes if you prefer.
The finishing touch of feta and fresh herbs is the perfect flavour addition to the garlicky chicken and potatoes. The whole meal is super filling and works perfectly on a weeknight.
Why we love these chicken and potatoes…
As mentioned above, the marinade is packed with garlic and olive oil which gives the most incredible flavour to the chicken and makes sure the skin gets all brown and crispy.
This is a really simple recipe to make. Once you’ve marinated the chicken it’s really just a case of roasting everything and serving up.
For that reason it’s a fab weeknight recipe but it’s also fancy enough to be served with a nice salad for guests.
You can switch up the recipe to your liking by changing up the herbs and spices, using all white or all sweet potatoes or even adding any extra vegetables you fancy to the roasting tin.
Potato and Chicken Sheet Pan Ingredients
This section is here to provide further tips and ideas for alternative ingredients. The full recipe and instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
Marinade: This is just a simple mix of olive oil, lemon juice, crushed garlic and dried thyme. Feel free to use a different dried herb if you prefer.
Chicken: I used skin on bone in chicken thighs for this which stay really moist while roasting which the skin gets super crispy.
Potatoes: I like a mixture of white and sweet potatoes here but you can do one of the other if you prefer, just make sure you cut them into small cubes so that they cook through.
Shallots: These are just peeled and halved before roasting and they come out so sweet and delicious!
Feta: This is crumbled over before serving.
How to make roast chicken and potatoes
Marinate the chicken: Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, thyme and salt and pepper and pour over the chicken. Marinate overnight if you can.
Put everything in the oven: Spread the potatoes out on half of a baking sheet with the shallot halves, coat in oil and salt and pepper. Put the chicken thighs on the other half and put in the oven for 40 minutes.
Serve: Check the chicken and potatoes are both cooked through. When everything is ready put on a serving platter and top with the remaining ingredients.
Want more? Try these other chicken recipes!
- Pressure Cooker Soy Braised Chicken
- Spicy Chicken Chilli with Beans
- Stuffed Chicken Risotto Bake
- Perfect Roast Chicken with Rosemary, Lemon and Garlic
- Taquitos with Spicy Chicken and Cheese
- Chilli Lime Chicken
Chicken and Potatoes with Shallots & Lemon
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- 4-8 Skin on Bone in Chicken Thighs depending on hunger levels
- 3 medium Potatoes cut into small cubes
- 1 Sweet Potato cut into small cubes
- 4-6 Shallots peeled and halved
- 100 g Feta Cheese crumbled
- Fresh Parsley chopped, to serve
- Lemon Slices to serve
- Whisk together half the oil, half the lemon juice, the crushed garlic, thyme and plenty of salt and pepper. Add the chicken and mix well and leave to marinate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/430°F. Mix the potatoes and shallot halves with the rest of the oil and plenty of salt and pepper. Spread on one half of a large baking tray. Put the chicken thighs on the other half of the tray and put in the oven.
- Cook for about 40 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are crispy. If the potatoes need longer then take the chicken out and return the potatoes to the oven for a bit longer. To get everything super crispy switch the oven to grill for the final 5 minutes.
- Place everything on a serving platter sprinkle over the feta, dill and lemon slices.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!