This stovetop chicken chilli is packed full of beans and spices for an easy dinner which is a great way to use up leftover chicken. Serve with rice or in wraps for a simple Mexican inspired meal!
This chilli is the best!
I love this recipe! It's so easy and so super flavourful. I made it using the leftovers from my stuffed chicken risotto bake but you can use any cooking chicken, you just need to shred it before use.
We've also got loads of beans in there and a delicious combination of spices which pack it full of flavour and give it plenty of kick (although feel free to tone down the chilli if you like).
I like to serve this with rice or in wraps and it's delicious both ways. I also used the leftovers to make chilli cheese toasties which were completely delicious and you should probably consider doing the same!
Why we love this chicken chilli...
It's a great way to use up leftover chicken which makes a brilliant recipe for reducing food waste although you can also buy a rotisserie chicken to use instead.
It's a really easy recipe which takes just a few simple steps before you've got a delicious bowl of chilli in front of you.
You can totally make it your own by adding extra veggies that you have hanging around the fridge or chucking in a different type of beans.
Toppings! This kind of recipe is crying out for all your favourite toppings. Think avocado, fresh coriander, sour cream, pickled onions, radish and anything else you can think of.
Chicken and Bean Chilli Ingredients
Veggies: I kick this chilli off with red onion, red pepper, red chilli and garlic for the perfect mixture of spicy and sweet.
Spices: This chilli is given bags of flavour thanks to a mixture of chipotle paste, cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika and plenty of salt and pepper.
Liquids: The sauce in this chilli is made from passata which gives a a lovely rich and smooth sauce and vegetable (or chicken) stock for extra flavour.
Beans: I went for kidney beans in this recipe but you could use any type of beans you like or have on hand.
Cooked Chicken: You can use leftover cooked chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken or even just roast a few chicken breasts and then shred them specifically for this recipe.
How to Make Chilli Chicken and Beans
Fry the veggies and spices: Heat the oil over a medium low heat and fry the onion, pepper, chilli and garlic until everything has softened. Add all of the spices and chipotle paste and stir everything to coat.
Simmer: Add the passata and stock and bring to a simmer then add the beans and cook for about 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
Add the chicken: Stir through the chicken just before serving and allow to heat through for a couple of minutes then serve with your choice of toppings.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
Want more? Try these other chicken recipes!
- Perfect Roast Chicken with Rosemary, Lemon & Garlic
- Taquitos with Spicy Chicken & Cheese
- Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet with Spaghetti
- One Pot Pasta with Chicken, Spinach & Mushroom
- Jerk Roasted Chicken with Coconut Curry & Rice
- Chipotle Chicken Salad
- Coq au Vin Blanc
Spicy Chicken Chilli with Beans
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Paste
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- ½ tablespoon Ground Coriander
- ½ tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Pepper
- 500 g Passata
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 400g tins Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 250 g Cooked Chicken shredded
- Avocado, Sliced Radish, Rice and Fresh Coriander to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium low heat. Add the onion, pepper, chilli and garlic and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Add the chipotle paste, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika and plenty of seasoning. Stir to coat everything in the spices.
- Pour in the passata, vegetable stock and kidney beans. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Stir through the chicken and cook for another couple of minutes to allow to heat through.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!