This whole stuffed chicken is filled with crusty bread, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts and parmesan cheese then roasted over a creamy baked risotto for an amazing one pot dinner recipe!
Who's in the mood for an easy one pot recipe right now?
It feels a little strange to be posting recipes like normal at the moment when things feel so odd and uncertain. Things are changing so quickly and when we first created this recipe everything still felt pretty normal.
Despite everything we still need to eat and we should still be eating good food as much as possible. I honestly believe that a good meal can do a world of good when you're feeling anxious or worried and the act of cooking is so soothing. It's a great opportunity to step away from the internet and all the scary news and focus on something in the present which you can do for your family or just for yourself.
So, onto the recipe. Other than the chicken most of the ingredient needed here are store cupboard ingredients. If you don't have everything then you can totally make do or try switching for other ingredients.
Why we love this recipe...
It's pretty simple to make and works great as a big weekend meal which has plenty of hands off time so you can get on with other things.
It makes great leftovers which you can serve the next day for lunch. You can also repurpose the leftover chicken for sandwiches or added to another recipe.
You can change the stuffing ingredients depending on what you've got on hand. Don't have any basil? Leave it out. Don't have sun dried tomatoes? Use fresh ones instead or try some chopped olives in their place. You can really make the stuffing your own.
This section is here to provide further tips and ideas for alternative ingredients. The full recipe and instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
Stuffing: This is a mixture of sun dried tomatoes, crusty bread, garlic, basil, pine nuts, olive oil and dried oregano which takes on all the juices from the chicken.
Spices: The chicken is coated in cayenne pepper and dried oregano before cooking.
Risotto Rice: Also known as arborio rice.
How to make it
Stuff the chicken: Mix together all of the stuffing ingredients then season well and stuff into the cavity of the chicken.
Roast the chicken: Sprinkle the chicken with the spices and drizzle with olive oil then roast in the oven for an hour.
Add the risotto: Pour the risotto rice and stock around the chicken and place back in the oven for another 30 minutes until everything is cooked.
Try these other chicken recipes!
- Perfect Roast Chicken with Rosemary, Lemon & Garlic
- Taquitos with Spicy Chicken & Cheese
- Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet with Spaghetti
- One Pot Pasta with Chicken, Spinach and Mushroom
- Jerk Roasted Chicken with Coconut Curry & Rice
- Chipotle Chicken Salad with Quinoa
- Cashew Chicken Stir Fry
Stuffed Chicken Risotto Bake
- 1.9 kg Chicken
- 40 g Sun Dried Tomatoes chopped
- 30 g Parmesan grated
- 75 g Crusty Bread torn into small pieces
- 2 cloves Garlic sliced
- 10 g Basil roughly chopped
- 25 g Pine Nuts
- 4 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- 250 g Risotto Rice
- 500 ml Chicken Stock plus extra if needed
- Heat the oven to 190°C/400°F. Place the chicken in an oven proof dish with high sides. Toss the sun dried tomatoes, bread, parmesan, olive oil, pine nuts, basil and garlic together in a bowl. Add half the oregano then season well and stuff into the chicken cavity.
- Rub the chicken with the cayenne pepper and the rest of the oregano and sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil then place in the oven and roast for an hour.
- Pour the risotto rice into the dish around the chicken and then add the stock and return the whole thing to the oven for 30 minutes until the rice is cooked and the chicken juices run clear. Add a little extra stock of water if the rice looks too dry.
- Serve the chicken with the risotto, stuffing and a green salad if desired.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!