This pressure cooker soy braised chicken is super tender and tastes amazing served over rice with any vegetable you fancy. It's also great served in sandwiches, with noodles or any other way you can think of!
I finally got the pressure cooker out again and remembered how bloody good chicken is when it's pressure cooked!
Even though I have way more time to cook at the moment than usual I'm really struggling with the motivation to actually make proper meals.
I don't know what the deal is but after a day of working from home I'm rarely in the mood to spend ages in the kitchen. That's why I decided to pull out the pressure cooker again and make something quick and easy which still tastes amazing.
And this braised chicken was the result. The chicken came out super tender and packed with flavour thanks to the soy braising liquid. We served ours with rice but you could have it in sandwiches or with noodles instead.
Why we love this recipe...
It's so easy to make thanks to the pressure cooker which takes all the hassle out of this recipe and keeps it super simple.
It's made in the pressure cooker which makes it quick to make so you can easily make this on a weeknight even when you're feeling overwhelmed and unmotivated!
This recipe is packed with flavour because of a delicious combination of soy sauce and aromatics in the braising broth.
You can serve this chicken in so many different ways. Whether it's with rice and veggies, noodles or in sandwiches, this chicken tastes amazing however your serve it.
This section is here to provide further tips and ideas for alternative ingredients. The full recipe and instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
Aromatics: The braising liquid is flavoured with ginger, spring onions and star anise to give a super fragrant sauce.
Braising Liquid: This is a mixture of Shaoxing rice wine, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, sugar and water for a flavourful broth.
Chicken: I used skinless boneless chicken thighs in this recipe which turn out really tender and delicious.
How to make it
Make the braising liquid: Put the pressure cooker on saute and add the oil and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds then add the spring onion, star anise, rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, salt and water. Cook under high pressure for 5 minutes.
Add the chicken: Release the pressure and carefully add the chicken thighs to the liquid. Cook again under high pressure (or on the meat setting if you have one) for 10 minutes.
Shred the chicken: Release the pressure and remove the chicken pieces. Shred with forks and serve with your sides of choice and drizzled with some of the braising liquid.
Try these other chicken recipes!
- Spicy Chicken Chilli with Beans
- Stuffed Chicken Risotto Bake
- Perfect Roast Chicken with Lemon, Rosemary & Garlic
- Taquitos with Spicy Chicken & Cheese
- Creamy Italian Chicken Skillet with Spaghetti
- Grilled Balsamic Chicken
Pressure Cooker Soy Braised Chicken
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 3-4 slices Ginger
- 2 Spring Onions cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1 Star Anise
- 100 ml Shaoxing Wine
- 100 ml Light Soy Sauce
- 75 ml Dark Soy Sauce
- 75 g Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ litres Water
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Rice to serve
- Turn your pressure cooker to the saute setting. Add the oil and ginger to the pot and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the spring onion, star anise, rice wine, soy sauces, sugar, salt and water.
- Place the lid on the pot and cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Release the pressure and remove the lid. Add the chicken to the pot then place the lid back on and cook on high pressure for another 15 minutes.
- Release the pressure then use forks to shred the chicken into big pieces. Serve with rice, vegetables of your choice and drizzled with extra braising liquid.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!