Smoked mackerel pasta salad is a delicious fish dish with roasted asparagus, cherry tomatoes and rocket. It’s the perfect summer dinner!
Welcome to my first pasta salad post of the year!
And it definitely won’t be the last. I am a big pasta salad lover, always have been. In fact it’s probably in my top ten favourite things about summer.
I mean, you’re combining the light summer freshness of a salad with all the carbs you need for a comforting and filling meal. From a caprese pasta salad to a Greek orzo salad there are so many ways to enjoy this wonderful dish.
And now I’ve created what might be my favourite pasta salad yet! This one has smoked mackerel, roasted asparagus, rocket, cherry tomatoes and a lemony mustardy dressing which is to die for.
Why we love this mackerel pasta salad:
- It’s full of healthy ingredients like mackerel and asparagus to make a super healthy meal perfect for a summer dinner
- It’s so quick and easy to make with the whole thing coming together in the time it takes to boil some pasta and roast some asparagus
- It’s easy to customise depending on what ingredients you have on hand so throw in any vegetables you like
- This pasta salad is great for meal prep as it keeps in the fridge for a few days. I like to keep it on hand for quick lunches during the week
Mackerel Pasta Salad Ingredients:
- Pasta: I used fusilli but any short cut pasta will work
- Asparagus: Simply roasted with salt, pepper and olive oil
- Smoked Mackerel: I buy mine from the fridge section in the supermarket and flake it before adding to the salad
- Rocket: Also know as arugula
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Lemon Dijon Dressing: Made from a mixture of lemon juice, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard and olive oil
How to make mackerel pasta:
- Cook the pasta and asparagus: Cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Toss the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 10 minutes.
- Prep all of the ingredients: Flake the mackerel, whisk together the dressing and cut the asparagus into thirds.
- Finish the pasta salad: Toss together all of the pasta salad ingredients and drizzle with the dressing, toss again and serve.
Expert tips for making this mackerel pasta salad:
- This recipe is a great way to use up leftover cooked pasta so try making a little extra another night and use to make this pasta salad
- Adding other vegetables works really well in this pasta salad, cucumber or spinach would be delicious. If you want to make this meal healthier then try increasing the amount of vegetables and reducing the pasta
- To store this pasta salad for later, put in airtight containers and place in the fridge for up to 3 days
- To make this recipe gluten free simply use your favourite brand of gluten free pasta
Can you adapt this mackerel recipe?
This is how I love to serve this pasta recipe but you could definitely adapt it according to your tastes. There are loads of spring/summer vegetables that would taste delicious in here so go for whatever you fancy.
Can you use tinned mackerel?
You could definitely use tinned smoked mackerel rather than fresh in this recipe – just make sure you use a good quality brand.
Want more? Try these other pasta recipes!
- Chevre Fontina Mac & Cheese with Sweet Pea Pesto
- Vegetarian Sausage Pasta Bake
- Baked Ricotta Gnocchi
- 15 Minute Tuna Pasta with Pangrattato
- Italian Tortellini Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower Pasta with Zingy Dressing
- Roasted Garlic Spaghetti with Kale & Ricotta
- Tuna Pasta Salad with Feta & Pine Nuts
Smoked Mackerel Pasta Salad with Asparagus
- 300 g Pasta
- 250 g Asparagus
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 250 g Smoked Mackerel Fillets this was 2 fillets for me
- 70 g Rocket
- 200 g Cherry Tomatoes halved
For the dressing
- 1 Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water according to packet instructions. Drizzle the asparagus with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Drain the pasta and refresh under cold water then place in a large bowl. Flake the mackerel and add to the pasta with the rocket and cherry tomatoes. Cut the asparagus into thirds and add to the pasta. Pour over the dressing and toss everything together. Serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!