This lightened up healthy tuna pasta salad requires no mayo but has a light lemon dressing and is so easy to make. It’s perfect served cold for a summer lunch.
Taking it old school with tuna pasta salad today.
I mean seriously doesn’t tuna pasta salad just make you think of being a kid?
It was one of my all time favourite foods as a kid and I’m talking about the type that would be slathered in mayo with a few token chunks of cucumber thrown in for good measure. Now don’t get me wrong I still love that exact dish and it remains a real comfort food for me but I felt like it was time to upgrade the humble tuna pasta salad.
This version has some of my favourite ingredients in it and it’s all tossed with a lemony mustardy dressing which keeps the whole thing light and summery. Perfect for a picnic or barbecue.
Why we love this tuna pasta salad
It’s full of fresh ingredients like cucumber, red onion and fresh basil which makes it the perfect summer dish
It’s great for meal prep as it will store well in the fridge for several days so you can make it ahead for work lunches or a weekend gathering
It’s also easy to make with ingredients you have on hand so feel free to throw in any leftover veg you like
This is also a healthier and lighter version of a classic tuna pasta salad with a lemon dressing and plenty of filling ingredients
Tuna Pasta Salad Ingredients:
Pasta: I used fusilli but use whatever cut of pasta you like
Tuna: Make sure to get sustainably sourced tuna
Red Onion: Very finely chopped
Sun Dried Tomatoes: Thinly sliced
Fresh Basil: And lots of it
Lemon Mustard Dressing: Made from a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard and garlic
Products from Amazon.co.uk
How to make tuna pasta salad?
- Cook the pasta: According to packet instructions then run under cold water until cooled
- Make the dressing: Whisk together all the dressing ingredients then season to taste
- Make the salad: Toss together all of the ingredients with the dressing and serve
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £29.99Was: £30.86
- Price: £6.00Was: £9.75
- Price: £24.75
Expert tips for making this tuna pasta salad
If you want to make this recipe gluten free simply switch the pasta for your favourite gluten free brand
You could switch the tuna for salmon or smoked mackerel if you prefer
Feel free to add any extra vegetables you like to this pasta salad
How long does this pasta salad last in the fridge?
This recipe lasts up to 5 days in the fridge so it’s a great one for meal prep. I’d recommend refreshing with a drizzle of olive oil or a little extra dressing before serving.
Is tuna good for you?
Tuna is such a great ingredient to add to your cooking. It’s full of omega-3 fatty acids, potassium and anti-oxidants.
Want more? Try these other pasta recipes!
- Easy Crispy Pancetta Ravioli with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Spinach
- Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese with Mushrooms
- Blackened Shrimp Pasta
- Halloumi Pasta with Tahini Dressing
- Weeknight Pasta with Pancetta, Peas and Mint
- 15 Minute Mushroom Tagliatelle
- 15 Minute Spicy Salmon Linguine
- Sausage Pasta Bake
Tuna Pasta Salad with Feta & Pine Nuts
- 300 g Pasta
- 2 200g tins Tuna drained
- 1/2 Red Onion chopped
- 100 g Feta crumbled
- 10 Sun Dried Tomatoes chopped
- 50 g Pine Nuts
- 1/2 Cucumber chopped
- Bunch Fresh Basil chopped
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions then drain and rinse in cold water until cooled.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the tuna, red onion, feta, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, cucumber, basil and dressing.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!