This prawn sandwich is made up of cooked prawns tossed in a tangy mayonnaise dressing, sliced tomatoes and plenty of melty cheese. Serve these easy prawn sandwiches for a delicious lunch or dinner!
Sometimes you just can’t beat something melty and comforting like this toasted shrimp sandwich!
I have always loved toasted sandwiches. They’re one of those perfect comfort foods for me which makes me think of tuna melts from the school canteen when I was a teenager or cheese toasties as my go to uni snack.
I guess the main reason that I have an undying love for them is because there is nothing more joyful than melty cheese and these prawn sandwiches are full of it.
Other than the cheese there’s prawns tossed with mayonnaise and shallots plus slices of fresh tomato sandwiched between crunchy toast made from your favourite crusty bread.
Why we love this prawn sandwich…
This is such an easy recipe to make when you need a quick lunch or snack and the whole thing takes about 15 minutes to put together.
You can also customise this recipe however you like. I added tomato slices but you could try something else or switch the type of cheese you use instead.
The method of making this sandwich means that you only need to use one baking sheet to prepare it and less washing up is always better!
Prawn Toasted Sandwich Ingredients
Crusty Bread: I used a fresh loaf from a local bakery, you can use whatever you like. Sourdough would also work well.
Prawns: Use ready cooked prawns to make this recipe extra easy.
Mayonnaise: I always use Hellmans but you can use your favourite brand.
Smoked Paprika, Lemon Juice, Shallots & Capers: All go into the mayonnaise and prawn mixture to make the sandwich filling extra flavourful.
Tomatoes: Slices are added on top of the prawns for an extra touch of flavour.
Cheese: I went for medium cheddar but you could use whatever cheese you fancy.
Products from Amazon.co.uk
How to make prawn melt sandwiches
Make the prawn filling: Mix the prawns, mayonnaise, lemon juice, smoked paprika, shallot & capers together in a small bowl and season well.
Prepare the toast: Grill half the slices of bread on each side until lightly toasted then top with the prawn mixture, tomato slices and cheese.
Make the sandwiches: Put the prawn toasts and other slices of bread under the grill and cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £19.90
- Price: £13.99Was: £19.00
Want more? Try these other sandwich recipes!
- Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches with Avocado Sauce
- Veggie Pulled Pork Sandwich with Slaw
- Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches with BBQ Sauce
- Spicy Tofu Sandwich with Pink Pickled Onions
- Breakfast Sandwich with Prosciutto & Watercress
- Panko Halloumi Sandwich with Kasundi
- Cheesy Baked Meatball Sandwiches
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
Prawn Sandwich with Melty Cheese & Tomato
- 8 slices Your Favourite Crusty Bread
- 250 g Cooked King Prawns peeled and deveined
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Shallot finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Capers
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tomatoes sliced
- 100 g Medium Cheddar grated
- Heat the grill to medium-high. In a small bowl mix the prawns, smoked paprika, mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers and shallot. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put 4 of the slices of bread on a baking sheet and grill for 1-2 minutes, flip and grill for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from the oven and top them with the prawn mixture, tomato slices and the grated cheddar.
- Add the other 4 slices of bread to the tray and put back under the grill for 4-5 minutes, flipping the slices without topping half way through. Remove from the oven when the cheese is melted and browned and the other slices of bread are toasted to your liking. Top each prawn slice with a plain piece of toast and serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!