Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that we have recommended.
This spicy veggie stew has a rich curry sauce and plenty of healthy vegetables, spices and quinoa. It’s so easy to make and takes just 30 minutes!
Who wants spicy, healthy comfort food to start the week with?
This stew is such a great weeknight dinner. I kept it pretty simple but maxed out on flavour thanks to the curry paste (store bought or homemade if you prefer) and spices.
Similar to my vegan stew, you can throw in any veggies you like but I went with aubergine and butternut squash for this one because they’re both so hearty and filling which adds to the quinoa to make the whole thing a one pot meal.
Once you’ve simmered it for 15 minutes you just need to serve up some steaming bowls of veggie stew and top them with whatever you fancy. I went with cooling yoghurt, some herbs, chopped almonds and avocado.
Why we love this spicy veggie stew:
- It’s a healthy weeknight dinner which takes just 30 minutes to make and most of that is hands off time so you can get on with something else while it cooks
- It’s got plenty of vegetable goodness but it’s also easily customised depending on what vegetables you have on hand
- It’s also a filling one pot meal which is the best when you want to avoid any extra clean up (ummm always)
- Thanks to the quinoa this stew is naturally gluten free
- This dish is also a perfect vehicle for toppings which makes it a winner in my book! Whether it’s sliced avocado, chopped nuts, herbs, yoghurt or anything else you can think of
Spicy Veggie Stew with Quinoa Ingredients:
- Veggies: I used onion, butternut squash and aubergine but you could add in pretty much anything you like, try spinach or kale
- Curry Paste: I used store bought but if you prefer then you could use homemade
- Spices: Cumin, coriander and ginger are added to make this stew extra flavourful
- Passata and Chopped Tomatoes: For that rich tomatoey flavour
- Vegetable Stock: Again, use homemade or store bought if you prefer
- Quinoa: For an extra hit of protein and to make the stew extra filling
Products from Amazon.co.uk
Spicy Veggie Stew with Quinoa Instructions:
- Start with the vegetables: Heat the oil and add the onion followed by the butternut squash, aubergine, curry paste, spices and ginger and cook for a few more minutes
- Make the rest of the stew: Add the passata, stock, tomatoes and quinoa and cook for 15 minutes
- Serve: With toppings of your choice
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: £213.96Was: £290.00
- Price: £8.97Was: £9.95
Expert tips for making this healthy stew with quinoa:
- This stew is great for meal prep as it lasts up to 5 days in the fridge and can also be frozen. Just defrost thoroughly and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop
- This stew is filling enough for a meal in itself but if you want to serve it with something then crusty bread or rice would work well
- If you’re not a huge fan of spice then use a mild curry paste to control the spice levels
Want more? Try these other vegan recipes!
- Easy 30 Minute Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Baked Falafel Burger with Chipotle Mayo
- Korean BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
- Chickpea Curry with Coconut Milk
- Chickpea Sheet Pan Dinner
- Pressure Cooker Vegetable Curry
Spicy Veggie Stew with Quinoa
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Butternut Squash peeled and chopped
- 1 Aubergine chopped
- 2 tbsp Curry Paste
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- 500 ml Passata
- 500 ml Vegetable Stock
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 170 g Quinoa
- Herbs, Chopped Almonds, Yoghurt and Avocado to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until beginning to soften. Add the butternut squash, aubergine, curry paste, spices and ginger and cook for another couple of minutes stirring to coat.
- Add the pasata, stock, chopped tomatoes and quinoa and cook for 15 minutes until quinoa is cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!